Urgent passport question

Search

Urgent passport question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent passport question

EDITED: Italy requires 3 months on your passport, confirmed by airline.

Having trouble finding this online...

I am traveling to Italy next month from the USA, July 2-12. My US passport will expire just under 6 months from my return home date January 10). What are the passport requirements for entry to Italy coming from the USA? If its 6 month from departure date I am fine. But if its 6 months from the return date I'm in trouble. Does that make sense?

Anyone know the rule? Hoping to not have to deal with expediting the passport.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by hodo75; Jun 12th, 2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 03:55 PM

You can check this out further on the Customs and Border Patrol website, but here's what it says:

"As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the United States. However, the United States has signed agreements with a number of countries to waive this requirement. When such an agreement is in place, the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor's intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required."
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chris_Cutler
You can check this out further on the Customs and Border Patrol website, but here's what it says:

"As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the United States. However, the United States has signed agreements with a number of countries to waive this requirement. When such an agreement is in place, the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor's intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required."
thank you so much!
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 07:07 AM
J62

The info on the US CBP website is for entry INTO the US, not the other way.....
I went through the Italian embassy site to check on requirements to enter Italy, and it confirmed the 3mo requirement that the airline told you
https://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 07:43 AM

The three months validity after departure rule applies to all Schengen countries. Some airlines are over zealous though and insist on 6 months.They are terrified they will have to return you home if refused entry.

Also your passport must not be more than 10 years old from the date of issue. This is important for UK citizens as the UK allows passports to be renewed months early and the extra time added to the new passport.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you decide to do, make absolutely positively sure (in writing) what your airline will require. Not some travel website. Not the Italian website (although you will have to follow those rules, too, or risk being sent home on arrival). No matter what the real rules are, if the airline check in person decides you can't go, you cannot fly, even if that person is wrong. You may have to shorten your trip or get an emergency passport PRIOR to arrival at the airport. Paranoia is your friend.