Milan -- things to do

Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Milan -- things to do

Good evening all -- I have Venice planned, Florence planned, now I have to find the "things to do" in Milan for 2.5 days ... we have reservations for the Last Supper on 10/20 @ 3:45 pm -- but I'm drawing blanks on finding fun things to do for the remainder of our time in the city. We also do not have reservations in Milan yet -- want to stay in city center near the "sites". A good 3 * hotel would be great.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Grazie

Lee
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:05 AM

What are your interests? Art, fashion, shopping, architecture, opera, history,food, etc?

Most people make it a point to visit the Duomo (and, there's an elevator accessed by outside on the left side of the building to the rooftop of the Duomo where you are in the midst of the spires and gett a fantastic view of the city on a clear day), then walk around/through the Galleria, then at another end of the Galleria is LaScala. Also within easy walking distance of the Duomo is the Sforza Castle where you'll find a Michelangelo sculpture and a great place in good weather for a walk & picnic. The city museum is also a good stop.

There's lots more to Milan, but knowing your main interests would help people be more specific.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:23 AM

If you are interested in opera or classical music, I recommend seeing LaScala. Not only is the theatre beautiful, there is an interesting "music museum" on the premises. Also a stroll along Via Montenapoleone, high fashion mecca, is fun for people watching if you can't afford to shop there! Recommend the restaurant "Nabucco" for fine dinner.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:56 AM

I have a tread going right now on hotel suggestions... http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665770

I will be there the week after you and feel like a slacker for not booking the Last Supper yet - geez! Did you book by phone?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM

TravelerLee03, do a day trip to Bellagio. It's an hour train ride to Como. You can catch the ferry and have lunch in Bellagio. We did it and were back in Milan for dinner.

Also, the shopping is incredible in Milan. Heading back there next Friday and staying at the Hotel Spadari al Duomo.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

wow -- thanks for the great suggestions. We are very interested in almost everything so what we wind up doing will be an adventure, no matter what it is. That said, we are planning to find an opera somewhere in Italy and Milan would be the perfect place. The Last Supper was a must -- which we booked on line via their web page -- very easy and they communicated back within 2 days of our confirmation. Shopping and the Sforza Castle sound wonderful. The restaurant suggestion is perfect AND any hotel recommendations under $200E would be appreciated. We are looking to stay in the "old part" of Milan near the Duomo and sights to see. Thank you again.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
DRJ

I'll second Nabucco and enthusiastically recommend Boccondivino. Its a restaurant in the center of the city (don't recall the street, but I'm sure you can find it in the phonebook). You don't have to order anything, it all comes and comes. Our last wine was a terrific Brunello. I guess it could come to 200E, but well worth it. A full night's pleasure.