MILAN - Isola or Fiera

Search

MILAN - Isola or Fiera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MILAN - Isola or Fiera

Hi ... I'm a fashion student planning on taking a short course in Milan and I've got two options for a residence. I'll either be staying at the Alahotel Contessa Jolanda or the Alahotel De Angeli. One's in Isola and the other in Fiera. Please let me know which option is the nicer one in terms of comfort and which ones nicer in terms of area and safety. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer me ... !!!

Also, I found out that getting to the school from De Angeli means riding the red line, and getting to the school from Contessa Jolanda means riding the yellow line. Which line is safer?

P.S. I'm starting to freak out a little with all the stuff I've been hearing about pickpockets and various crimes around Milan ...
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Whoa, calm down. Milan is really a very safe city. There aren't any enormously bad neighborhoods, and both Isola and Fiera are fine. You'd probably enjoy Isola more - it's got more real Italian life to it than the Fiera area.

Any of the metro lines are equally safe (the system is not all that extensive), and I've never heard of anything worse than pickpocketing happening in the metro (and that isn't all that common). If you are coming home alone late at night, and especially if your place is not very near the metro stop, consider taking a taxi instead.

I lived in Milan for 13 years and still work there several days a week. I've travelled around the city alone up til midnight and never felt unsafe. Do watch out for the area around the central railway station - more on that here: http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/...alstation.html

If you want to make friends in a hurry, there are several networks of foreigners-and-Italians who get together for aperitivi once a week etc. Drop me a line on my site and I'll put you in touch with them.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Oo sounds fun ... where's your site?
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM

http://www.beginningwithi.com/
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:49 AM

Ciao, I live in Milan.

The De Angeli option is better.

Even if the red line is the oldest metro line (hot, sad, dark) and for sure the yello is better, the location of Contessa Jolanda is less convenient.

In any case, on the metro you should take care of your personal belongings on the metro (it's true, we have a lot of pickpockets) and in some areas of the town (for example railways Central Station). But all this is the same in all big towns in the world.

Ciao, have a nice stay.

Gianni