Search

Milan in Oct.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan in Oct.

I will be traveling to Milan and staying in a B&B. Can anyone recommend an area in Milan? We will be in Milan on a Monday so we cannot make reservations for The Last Supper. I would like to see Milan or Lake Como area but we only have one day. Any recommendations for what to see in Milan? Is Lake Como too far for a day trip?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Como is an hour by train from Milan
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you decide to go to Lake Como for the day, I'd recommend you train to Varenna Esino (not the town of Como) and concentrate on the mid-lake area.

If you stay in Milan, most people enjoy seeing the Duomo, both inside and out. There is an elevator to the roof where you can walk around, get an up-close view of sculpture decorating the building, and have a nice perspective on the city. The nearby Galleria is architecturally interesting as the precurser to the indoor mall concept. The La Scala Opera House on the other side of the Galleria has a small museum, and the entrance fee includes access to a small portion of the theater's public area and a peek at the interior of the theater and the stage. I believe this museum is open on Mondays, but hours are limited.

A couple of interesting areas just to walk around are the Navigli district (quaint shops, art galleries, cafes and clubs, nice in the day time in good weather) and the Latin Quarter surrounding the Pinacoteca di Brera (craft shops, antiques, jewelers, leather goods, music clubs, cafes, boutiques, fun in the evening).

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Jean: Thank you for your input. Why do you recommend Varenna Esino and not Como? Is there an area of Milan that I should look for a B&B or Hotel?
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM

Como is at the southern end of the lake, right where the mountains begin to rise, more commercial and settled, and you will be at lease an hour or more from the mid-lake area where Bellagio and famous sites such as Villa Carlotta are located. By traveling all the way to Varenna-Esino as Jean suggests, you will be at mid-lake, just opposite Bellagio and in the heart of the mountainous area and beautiful scenery--just 10 minutes across the water by ferry.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To me, day tripping from Milan to Como is just trading one busy city for another. (No screaming, I realize the relative sizes are quite different.) Starting in Varenna creates the greatest contrast to Milan.

If you decide to do this, buy round-trip train tickets at the Milano Centrale station. Assuming you will ferry to other points beyond Varenna, pay attention to the schedule so as not to miss the last ferry back to Varenna. Likewise, know the times of the train departures from Varenna Esino in the evening.