Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan in a Day- Cardona Station to Milano Centrale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

My brother and I are flying into Milan (Malpensa Airport) at 10 am. We have reservations to see the Last Supper at 4:45 pm. I have read the other posts which describes taking a bus from the airport to Cardona, then walking to the Santa Maria Grazie (Last Supper location).

However, we made reservations for a hostel in Florence (which is about 2hrs away). Therefore, we have to get to the Milano Centrale Station right after we finish seeing the painting. Is there a faster way to get to Santa Maria Grazie to Milano Centrale? How long would it take? I need to make reservations for the train ride from the Milano Centrale to Firenze SMS (Florence Train Station).

Any insight would be helpful! Thank you!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Take the train from the airport directly to Milano Centrale (this is a relatively new train; old posts would have mentioned taking a bus from the airport into Milan instead). Then you can take Metro (local train) from Milano Centrale to Cardona (but you'll have hours to kill before 4:45, so you may just explore Milan). After the Last Supper, take Metro back to Milano Centrale and walk over to the main train station and catch the train to Florence.

Looks like there are lots of daily trains to Florence from Milan. Personally, I'd not reserve my tickets ahead of time - I'd just buy them when I arrived from one of the self-service Trenitalia kiosk machines at a train station (instructions in English; take American credit cards). You can probably guess when you arrive how long it will take you to travel between Cardona and Centrale on the Metro if you wish to buy your tickets a few hours ahead of time - but you can always just buy the next departure near the last minute and take a chance that it's not sold out. If sold out, as I said, there are lots of trains.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:46 PM

The instruction you have is for a different kind of trip. Although you have not mentioned luggage, don't you have to find a place to store them?

Assuming that is the case, it seems following routing may be of interest.

First, there are Malpensa to Cadorna train by LeNord and Malpensa to Milano Centrale train by Trenitalia.

If I were to do this with luggage in tow, this is how I would do this.

1. Take Trenitalia train from Milano Malpensa to Milano Centrale. www.trenitalia.com
2. Store luggage at Milano Centrale www.grandistazioni.it, English, click Milano on map, click station services on the left, click left luggage on the right.
3. If you are sure of the Florence train time you can buy Milano-Firenze train ticket at this time. The train is hourly to about 20:15. 18:15 train may be tight if you don't already have tickets or a long line to retrieve luggage.
4. Take subway to Cadorna http://www.atm-mi.it/en/ViaggiaConNo...ntromilano.pdf
5. Walk to S. M. Grazie
6. Walk back to Cadorna
7. Take metro to Milano Centrale
8. buy Milano-Firenze ticket if you have not already done so
9. Retrieve luggage
10. Take train to Firenze.

However, I think you have some time to kill between your arrival in Milano Centrale to your last supper reservation. Then take metro to Duomo area, visit Duomo area, then take tram #16 to S.M. Grazie.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned that my brother and I will be backpacking throughout Europe. So we will only be carrying one backpack each.

And yes, there is a lot of time to kill before the seeing the Last Supper. I was planning to visit the Duomo, before seeing the painting.

Thanks you guys so much. I can finally plan the rest of my trip! Wish me luck!
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't imagine they will let you take your backpacks in. While there is a direct train from the airport to Cadorna,I think you will need to store your luggage first at Centrale. There can be a line to retrieve luggage so allow enough time before departure.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Sorry to weigh in late. Consider seeing Castello Sforzesco which is near Cadorna stations as a "time killer" befreo the LAst Supper. There are many Museums in the Castle. Museums: Tue- Sat 9-5:30 E3.Museum of Ancient Art, On the ground floor of the Ducal Courtyard.Michelangelo Rondanini Pieta, last sculpture by Michelangelo 1564 (M was 89) is in room XV. The Pinacoteca, 230 works of art, by Mantegna, Antonello da Messina, Foppa, Cesare da Sesto, Procaccini & Cerano. 1st floor of the Ducal Courtyard, from room XX to room XXVI. Exhibit of 15th - 21st century furnishings and Wooden Sculpture, 1st floor of the Ducal Courtyard, Museum of Applied Arts. Collections of Applied Arts and the museum of Musical Instruments, 1st & 2nd floors of the Rocchetta. Egyptian Section of the Archaeological Museum and Sala Viscontea, underground level of the Ducal Courtyard. Prehistoric Section of the Archaeological Museum and Sala Viscontea, underground level of the Ducal Courtyard.

Rolo
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Bookmarking