Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A few hours in Milan - Enough time to get from station to duomo and back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking a train from Varenna to Milano-Centrale on Friday, July 27. The train is scheduled to arrive in Milan at 1:40pm. We are planning on taking a train from Milano Centrale to Firenze-S.M.N. that leaves at 4:20pm. During that time between trains we are hoping to take the metro to see the Duomo. I would also like to get tickets to go to the roof of the Duomo. In experienced traveler's opinions, will we have time to get to the Duomo and back for our next train in that 2 hour and 40 minute period? I feel pretty certain that we can at least go to the Duomo and look around and make it back, but what about going to the roof? Is there usually a long line for tickets and using the elevator or stairs? We will also have our bags with us. I know there is a baggage check at the train station. Is there a long line for that too? We are backing light - a backpack each. If there is not enough time for baggage check can we take our bags in the Duomo and on the roof or will they not let us do that? We can not leave any later than 4:20, because of the check in times at our B&B in Florence. I know the Milano Centrale train station is hectic, but I have been there before and am not worried about navigating the station.

Any details anyone has from experience would be great.

Grazie!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"We cannot leave any later than 4:20, because of the check in times at our B&B in Florence." Just curious. What will happen to your check in if the 4:20 train is delayed?

Anyway, in theory you have time, but on that particular day who really knows? There are too many variables. Your arriving train could be late. You may not be allowed inside the Duomo or on the roof with backpacks. (I don't know for a fact, but it's always a possibility.) If you choose to check your bags, there could be lines for both checking in and checking out. There could be a line for buying elevator tickets and/or for boarding the elevator (in both directions). Will you already have your Milan-Florence train tickets?

FYI, the metro ride is about 25 minutes each way.

If it were me and the arriving train was on time, I'd check the backpacks and go, if only to see the exterior (take binoculars for a close-up view) and a quick look of the interior of the Duomo (make sure you're wearing appropriate clothing to enter). If the travel gods are smiling on you, go up to the roof. Obviously, don't lose track of time and remember that the train station will probably be busier later in the afternoon (on a Friday, no less) than when you arrived.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can leave your luggage at Milano Centrale http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/i...003f16f90aRCRD, and yes you can make it to the Duomo. Tickets to the roof are sold at a "newstand" to the left and at the rear of the Duomo (if you are facing the Duomo), and the elevator to the roof is nearby. When I was there last month, I was not in a line, however, as Jean stated, you never know what you'll find on the day you plan to go.

If your train into Centrale arrives on time, you could make it to the Duomo for a quick look around. Make sure you wear proper clothing (no bare shoulders, etc...). I probably would not chance the roof, though.