Train trip from Malpensa Airport Milan to Central Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to figure out the best way to get from Malpensa Aiport to our hotel the NH touring Hotel in Milan which is near Central Station with our luggage. If we take the Malpensa Express train are there many steps to get on and off the train such that will we have any difficulty with our luggage? We have a medium size wheeled suitcase and a small wheeled carry on each. Do you think taking a shuttle bus is easier with luggage?
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM

the Malpensa Express I believe goes to Milan's Cordona train station and not Centrale, the main station. Cordona is much closer to the heart of Milan but there are now trains also going to Milan Centrale station - perhaps this new service is also called the Malpensa Express - but before at least the old Malpensa Express went to Cordona station, about a mile from Centrale. Airport trains are made with the needs of folks with luggage in mind - I assume the new line has a flat boarding system with no steps but not sure - and since the train starts at the airport there should be lots of room to store luggage when boarding.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM

I did the trip in reverse recently, taking the dedicated train (don't remember what it was called) from Centrale to Malpensa. There were a few steps, no more than on a "regular" train, though there was more space for luggage storage.

If you'll be moving around Italy via train during your trip and are concerned about getting luggage around, you may want to see if you can pack lighter. I did carry-on only on this last trip and was SO happy I did - not only because of the trains, but also getting to/from hotels and up those stairs. Just a thought.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM

The Stresa trip is much easier.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Palen Q meant CADORNA,not Cordona.
Anyway there are now trains who go from Malpensa airport to Milan central and if your hotel is there it's better for you to go to Centrale straight away rather than going to Cadorna and than taking the subway to Centrale.
So, be careful to board the right train.
Alternatively you can go to Centrale by bus as well.