Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan centrale train station at night - is it OK?

Jun 4th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, due to some bad pre Fodor's planning, my family and I will be arriving into Malpensa airport at about 5.30pm after a long haul from OZ (via Japan) and then leaving from Milan Centrale on the overnight train to Avignon (eventually) - it leaves at about 23.30. I have read elsewhere that the train station is not necessarily the place to be after dark? We will have 1st class passes, is there any such thing as a secure "lounge" type of arrangement available? From what I can make out, at the airport we will need to catch a shuttle to the train which will take us into Milan itself - I'm guessing all of this is not going to take 6 hours? Any suggestions for the intervening time? I guess it would be too much to ask that there might be a shower somewhere!!
Jun 4th, 2005, 07:52 PM

About five years ago, two family members and I spent the entire night in the Milan rail station because of a rail strike. That was NOT a pleasant experience, but I never felt threatened if that is your concern. There is a waiting room, but it was a rather ugly place. We had first class tickets; I don't remember if it was for first class only or not. The toilets were not dirty, but certainly not very nice. There is a snack bar with tables in the basement. I suppose you might hire a driver to take you around Milan. Boots
Jun 4th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Boots. I have just been reading some previosu posts about Milan airport - train station which I should have done before posting my thread, sorry!!
However, it still seems a little unclear as to whether there is luggage storage at the train station because from people's comments it does look like we may have some time to look around? If we had to be back for departure at 23.30, what would people suggest in Milan for the evening?
Jun 4th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Spent the 23 May in the Milan Centrale train station waiting for our train to Amsterdam.

There is a nice, large waiting room with a person in attendance as you enter. There are tables in front of some of the benches and monitors to track your train arrival/departures.

Not the least bit threatening. Clean. The toilette was at left of the train tracks as you face them. No bathrooms in Italy are particularly clean. The women's room never has a seat cover on them and they usually cost about .50.

Jun 4th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks Eurogal, that report is comforting! Did you venture out of the station or didn't have time?
Jun 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM

We probably had time to venture out. We wanted to see the cathedral of Milan, but were afraid there might be traffic or no taxi around when we wanted to return, so we just stayed put in the station.

Jun 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Is there not anything to see in the immediate vicinity that wouldn't require a taxi trip or is it a "seedy" area after dark? Can anyone advise?
Jun 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM

ozgirl, the area is rather deserted and seedy late at night. If I were in the situation I would think about taking a taxi ride around Milan, maybe making a deal to drop me off at a restaurant and either waiting or coming back.
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I hope it's ok to jump in here. We have a few hours mid-day in the Milan train station. Had planned to store luggage and go to Duomo and La Scala. Is this possible? Am I misinformed that the train station is close to the Duomo? thanks, Linda
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:46 AM

I found the Milan train station fairly hectic (making an evening transfer from a day train from Venice to an overnight train to Paris). We only had 1 hour and the signage was not real clear to us. That said, it did not feel dangerous just crowded and confusing.

There was some excellent food to be bought at the grocery store near the tracks where we got fantastic sandwiches, beer, wine, etc. for the rest of our train ride.

I'm a little off topic I know, sorry!
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:09 AM

I agree, it is not so bad inside the station at night, it is outside where some homeless-like people and maybe dealers gather that was a little off setting. Twice while staying in Milan we came back later at night on a train and decided not to walk to our hotel.

I think if you check out some of the taxi drivers and get one who is friendly, speaks English and seems honest (!) ask him how much for a tour around town. Have him write it down on a piece of paper for you too and pay him at the end of the tour (!).
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM

There's a left luggage office at Milano Centrale. Not sure what time it closes. The Duomo is about 5 minutes by metro or a 15 minute walk. Not to be missed but again not sure how late it stays open. I've never felt unsafe walking around Milan at night. You'll need to eat then get back to the station at a reasonable time for your train so we're not talking VERY late-night here.
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM

The metro is located right outside the main entrance of the centrale station. Just go outside, see the big M sign and head down the stairs. There are 3 lines, all well marked.
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM

It feels a lot more than 15 minutes' walk to the Duomo, and it's a very dull trek, mostly along a pretty featureless boulevard, with occasionally the odd slightly disconcerting person along the route. But as gertie says, it's just a couple of minutes on the metro.

Even if the Duomo's closed, remember cathedrals are often open for Mass or Vespers after they've stopped letting tourists in. Lots of Milanese congregate in the piazza outside for a passegiata from 6.30, the Gallerie will still be serving overpriced drinks, and it's a short walk up from Piazza Duomo to the window-shopping capital ofthe universe - the fashion stores along Via Montenapoleone and Via St Andrea.

Eat in the Brera area for a sight of people actually wearing the stuff you've seen in the windows. And, except for a couple of streets near Staz Centrale, it all feels about as safe as Switzerland.
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cassandra

Go to http://www.grandistazioni.it/milano/...nt=m_3&lang=en

for a map and some information (click on facility you're interested in). It says that left-luggage is open 6 am to midnight -- but such hours are occasionally "soft."

We spent about 3 hrs. in the waiting room, which is listed on that website as having hours from 4 am to 1 am. It was a tad on the sad/dingy side, esp. after ca. 8 pm, but not inhabited (that we could see) by questionable "permanent residents" other than a pigeon or two -- AND there was an attendant with what seemed to be security monitor at the (only) entrance to the area.

Also: We were able to board one train as much as 40 min. early -- depends, I'm sure, on whether it originates in that city. You might, therefore, not have to wait until 23:30.

(FYI: There is a "club Eurostar" in these stations, but they require an 80E per year subscription -- probably not worth it for one evening, esp. since it seems to close at 9 pm according to that website.)