Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan hotel neighborhoods: Starwood and train station question

Jan 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide between three Starwood hotels in Milan. All have decent reviews on tripadvisor, but none are near the city center, which i assume revolves around the Duomo.

The Le Meridien Gallia (2km from Duomo)
- across the street from the central train station, some mention this is "safe but seedy" (?)

The Sheraton Diana Majestic
- on via Piave (1km from Duomo)

The Westin Palace
- at Piazza Republica (1km from Duomo)

Any comments on the desirability of location or hotel would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, and happy new year!

dina
Jan 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM

Hi Dina,

I stayed at the Diana Majestic a few years ago and hated it. Looked nothing like the website,rooms were kind of run down, didn't love the location, the restaurant and bar were good but I wouldn't stay there again.

Don't know about the other 2.
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Laartista, for your input.

Hopefully, I'll get a bit more.

It's our first trip to Milan.

Jan 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM

There are many parts of Milan some would call "seedy" whatever that actually means.

I didn't think the area around Milano Centrale was seedy in particular. The station itself is in many ways magnificent.
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM

I was in the train station neighbourhood (Starhotel Anderson) and it worked very well for me. Yes, no beautiful surroundings, but a wealth of places to eat , proximity to the buses going the airports (very important for me on that trip) and not too far to the center so I was able to pay for taxis (though the metro stop was right there).
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM

The Statione Centrale is a glorious peice of fascisti architecture which is based in the clothing district of town and is pretty seedy. The needles on the ground reach almost drifting conditions. I stayed in part hotel/ part brothel there recently and felt it was over priced.

Guess that leaves the Westin Palace
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I guess that DOES leave the Westin Palace.

Thanks everyone.
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM

hmmmm...I just booked Le Meridien Gallia....HOW bad?? (i.e. Naples Centrale station bad?? Rome Termini "bad"?? bad has so many degrees ;-) )
ANYONE stay there? We have no desire to see Milan this trip (haven't been there in years...but still no desire - aside from La Scala, it's just not my thing)...have an early flight out of Milan and thought it may be the easiest to catch the shuttle bus out to the airport and we'd still be able to be in town for a nice dinner....think we'd be better off out by Malpensa? (p.s. it's free for us with starpoints if that makes a difference)Thanks!!!
Nicole
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:21 AM

I really didn't feel bad at all when I was there....my friend and I walked every night that area to a place we liked nearby for dinner and never felt concerned for anything. Just the usual precautions you should have everywhere. It's nothing beautiful but for me nothing "bad".
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM

I haven't stayed at this particular hotel, but have stayed near the Central Station in Milan at a small hotel called Madison (not a brothel in any way so far as I could tell). I am a single female who has traveled a lot, and I didn't find the area particularly seedy or intimidating. Lots of immigrants (well-served by internet cafes and long distance phone booths) and young people hanging out on the plaza outside, but really not that bad. I didn't see a single needle, but then I wasn't looking. Hardly "drifing conditions" in any case.

My hotel was two short blocks to the station, and there were several restaurants and clubs that catered to immigrants. No inappropriate staring or "hey baby" activity. Some nice restaurants and cafes/bars a couple of blocks over.

I took the metro from the central station several times and encountered no problems, even returning to my hotel in the evening (about 11:00).
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM

haha. ok. THANKS (so...Rome Termini "bad" to put it in perspective) The description pretty much sums up how I feel about Milan anyway (althouh, admittedly, I have not been there in years)...not really beautiful nor charming...but not "bad" kind of like L.A. ;-) I think that sounds preferable to being stuck way out by the airport for our laast night in Italy....so will keep the reservation.
Let me know if you have s specific restaurnt you'd reccomend! something tasty but not too fancy...we are travelling with my 7 yr old ;-)
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I don't have a specific place to recommend in the neighborhood, as I was only there a couple of nights and didn't eat right there (but my local host, a native of Milan, pointed out several that he knew to be good).

Were I you, CdC, I'd hop on on the metro (green line) to the Navigli neighborhood (get off at Porta Genova). This is a cool part of town that used to be a transportation hub back when navigable canals criss-crossed northern Italy and meant that Milan actually served as a port. Some of the canals are still there, and the surrounding streets are partly pedestrianized, with approximately one bajillion restaurants and cafes. Great fun for your seven years old (plenty of kids), and a nice last evening for the grown-ups.

Another possibility to consider is booking a hotel near the Cadorna train station. There's an express train (run by Ferrovia del Nord) that goes from there directly to Malpensa that lots of locals use.
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM

The place my friend and I do like a lot was in fact a chain cafe..Brek on via Lepetit, 20. Simple food, freshly made pasta (just in front of you)and cheap price for Milan
I think it will be also great for your kid because it's a casual environment and the workers are very kind (after two days going there they called us by our names and gifted us free cofees the last day !)
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM

thanks for the tips!

The "Brek" suggestion really brought back memories ;-) ate at a Brek in Padova ALL the time when I was a student there years ago
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM

LOL, then you know what it is !!
I envy you, you were living in Padova !! I loved it, even more than Venice (as a place to live and stay for long, I mean).