Milan, airport shuttle question

Apr 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Milan, airport shuttle question

I will be in Milan overnight and will arrive by train to Milano Centrale stn, I fly out of MXP the following day. I know I can take the train or Malpensa Shuttle (www.malpensashuttle.it) to the airport. Since the bus departs from the Milano Centrale stn, I plan on staying near the station, which will make things easy for arrival/departure. My flight departs from MXP at 7 pm, what time should I get the shuttle to the airport? I've looked at the website, and I see they recommend an hour for travel time. Which means I'll need to depart from the Central station area around 4 pm, however, I am concerned that this maybe rush hour and it could take alot longer to get to the airport. What's the traffic like from Milano Centrale stn to the airport at this time of day during the week? Should I leave earlier?

Thanks.
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM

I'm not sure I agree that your departure is easier if you stay by Milano Centrale station for just the reason you stated -- especially if you are leaving on a Friday night, but any weekday apart from the last two weeks in August could give you a problem.

I would either stay near Cadorna station or go to it to leave and take the Malpensa Xpress.

Of course you could leave earlier.

Are you really keen on spending that last night in Milan? I really like Milan and enjoy being there, but most people have very early morning flights. You obviously have time to come from practically anywhere in Northern Italy into Milano Centrale and simply get on the bus and go.
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

zeppole, thank you for the feedback. I will be arriving by train from Switzerland. I've been very lucky to have been able to book a ticket to the Last Supper the morning (930 am) of the day I depart. I've never been to Milan and I'm keen on seeing the Duomo too. So, I'll definitely be staying in Milan on the last night. I'm flying on a intra Europe flight which fortunately does not depart early in the morning.
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Since you are going to the Last Supper and are keen on seeing the Duomo, I highly recommend you find accommodations near Cadorna Station.

When you arrive in Milano Centrale, you can either take a taxi (8 euros or less to that area) or you can take the subway. They sell tickets to the subway at the news stands. I don't find the subway hard to use, but I'm from New York.

I realize this is a more expensive proposition all around, so if you are on a budget, find a hotel near Centrale, park your bags there for the day (or at the train station) and leave a little early for your flight if you are traveling on a weekday. Your visit to the Last Supper will be short, it's not a long walk to the Duomo, and even if you climb around the roof and visit the tiny museum, and stick your head in the Galleria, you'll be done in time for lunch.

There is a fantastically enjoyable vegetarian restuarant not far from the Duomo in a tiny grocery store. It's called VECCHIA LATTERIA DI VIA UNIONE, and it is at number 6 on via Unione. It's so small, you need to get there early. Enjoy your lunch, and have a safe flight home.
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM

PS: To be clear, if you stay near Centrale, take the subway from there in the morning to the Last Supper.
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, zeppole. I am now looking at hotels near Cadorna stn. I have a question about the Malpensa train, does it get crowded, is it a commuter train, too? I will have my luggage with me, so obviously, I'll need space for my luggage on the train.

Another question about Milan, do you know of any grocery stores/food stores where I'll be able to find panforte. I'd like to bring some home, I know panforte is from Sienna and it maybe difficult to find in Milan.

Thanks again.