Search

milan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
milan

we are leaving for our trip to italy in 3 weeks and now i am concerned we have too much time planned for milan. we have 4 nights booked before leaving for venice. should we break it into 2 nights in milan and 2 nights elsewhere? any recommendations for a town on the train line heading to venice would be helpful. i was thinking lake garda area but still very unsure! thanx in advance.....

randi
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Hi Randi - Choose any from ... Sirmione (Lake Garda), Verona, Vicenza ...

Or you could stay a couple of nights on Lake Como.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bergamo is worth a visit
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:29 AM

HI,

I just got back from Milan Sunday. Two days at the end of the trip and not nearly enough time. There was a La Scala Philharmonic open concert right in the Duomo square Sat night - a complete surprise to us and a great way to end the trip. We dined on the Brera at the Orient Express Via dei Fiori Chiari, 8 - great food and amibience.

You cant take a train to Lugano or Como for a day. Just over an hour from Centrale. Easy ride.

The town I would recommend on the way to Venice is Verona. We only spent a day there this time and again it was too short. If you choose to go, be sure to see Piazza Erbe, 5 min walk from the Arena, and the two piazzas behind it: Piazza dei Signori and the one right next to it. The Duomo is well worth the (paid) visit inside. Get a map with short descriptions from the info office across from the arena. Very concise and to the point.

We had lunch at 12 Apostoli off Piazza Erbe, recommended by my jeweler in Varenna and of course on this board. I ordered a duck dish and at the end of the meal was presented with a ceramic plate with a duck design(!) Phenomenal food and service.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:31 AM

I meant

"You can take a train to Lugano or Como "

Sorry.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM

You could certainly do day trips from Milan to towns such as Cremona, or to Lake Como or Lake Maggiore.

Towns on the way from Milan to visit you could visit are Parma, Vicenza, Padua, as well as Verona.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Parma and Bergamo are lovely, of course also the well-touristed Verona.

My Italian mother loves Milan as she lived there for years; I, on the other hand, am not a huge fan. I would be happy with 2 nights, then moving on to a smaller town for 2 nights. There's the Last Supper, the amazing cathedral, and shopping. 2 nights is enough to cover those.

Milan reminded me of Berlin or New York.

And remember - in the Italian cities in June and July it is HOT. Really hot.

I would recommend 2 nights Milan to arrive, recover from jet lag, see the main sights, then 2 nights up in the hills, mtns, or lakes where it will be gorgeous and cooler.

Have a great trip,

Ellen