Mid-November 2015--Provence/Paris or Paris Only

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2015, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to France in November of this year. Our flights are booked. We wanted to go when the weather would be a little better but our only chance to go ended up being November. We have four small kids and have family that can watch them then so we decided to do it. We will be there for exactly one week.

Here are the two options we are considering:

1. Spend the week in Paris and take several day trips
2. Spend five nights in the Luberon and then two nights in Paris at the end

We have been to Paris three times previously. It's definitely our favorite large city we have visited, but we have liked the small towns in France on previous trips even more. Outside of Paris, we have been to Normandy and the Loire Valley on previous trips. So we would prefer Option #2 if we can make it work.

I realize weather could be an issue in Provence. I have looked at historical weather reports for the last ten years and have concluded our chances of getting hit by a mistral while we are there are about ten percent. That's a small enough chance that I'm willing to risk it for the reward of a great trip. If we don't have a mistral, as far as I'm concerned the weather in Provence in November looks ideal. My favorite weather is highs in the 50s and sunny or highs around 60 and overcast.

I've also researched both the Michelin Guide to Provence and Stu Dudley's Provence itinerary very carefully and noted several things will be closed, which I can live with. Most of the things we most want to see appear to be open.

We hate crowds, so we are fine with some shops being closed and towns feeling somewhat abandoned. We like that kind of atmosphere to imagine the past.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there any reason we should be leery about Provence in November that I may not have considered?
2. Where would you suggest I look for self-catering places to stay?

In relation to #3, I have noted a lot of great feedback on these boards for Mas Perreal in St Saturnin les Apt. I emailed them and their apartments are available but they don't have a couch or comfortable chairs to relax in, and that's an issue for is.

We prefer self-catering to hotels or B&Bs and we would be there from a Wednesday to a Monday so I don't believe we could use Gites de France or any of the rentals I've liked on theluberon.com So where else can I look that any of you would recommend? Are there any other B&Bs you would recommend that rent out an apartment that would have a couch and kitchen?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:05 AM

I believe Mas Perreal has a self-catering Gite now. The Gites we've rented in Provence (6) are Sat to Sat. Find a post by DebitNM - her & her husband have info about a place that has B&Bs & Gites. Unfortunately, the search function on Fodors does not retrieve posts later than about May last year.

Our favorite time in Paris has been in late Nov and early Dec (two 10-day trips). We've never visited places in France in Nov - except for Paris. We've stayed in Paris for about 14 weeks total (anywhere for 3 weeks at a time to 1 week) and have usually planned to take several day-trips to elsewhere - but once we got to Paris, we've taken zero day-trips.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-was-paris.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM

Maybe being off-season you can find a place to rent for only 5 nights, I would think std websites like VRBO or homeway, airbnb, etc., would be the best bet to see the most. You could try www.avignon-et-provence.com, they have various places for rent on there.

But most places in that area want Sat to Saturday rentals. And even if cheap enough so you'd pay for a week, that won't even work for you when you span the weekend. Why not just stay in a B&B or something.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:27 AM

We have spent some time in The Luberon in off season - we were there from early October to late December in 2014 and for 5 weeks in Jan - Feb of 2013. We also stayed for 2 weeks in September 2012.

Granted the weather in November is not like summer or early autumn but there are also no crowds and it is easy to get to see sites that are normally busy during high season.

We had a month of glorious weather till about the second week of November last time. Then it got cold and rainy. We did have a day of mistral. We had a lot of rain thereafter, but it was a very unusual year for weather. Heat, rain when it wasn't typical -- all contributed to a poor olive crop. So, it might not be what will happen in 2015. Temps may not be in 50's so be prepared. So, weather - hit or miss.

As for things being open - we were always able to find places to eat out from casual to fancy. Some do close for the season, so that does have to be considered.

Shops and markets, not a big difference in most of those. All the weekly village markets were open.

We were able to walk through Roussillon without seeing a soul. Avignon, Aix, Lourmarin were quite but quite open. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue market was busy but that's part of the fun.

I wish I could help with where to stay - the place we recommend in St. Sat closes for the season in October. http://www.accommodationinprovence.com/

Mas Perreal does have self-catering so that's an option.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback to those that responded. DebitNM, I appreciate your willingness to help. I will do more research and let you know if I have additional questions I can't find answers to. Thanks again.