Mid June v. Mid July in Mediterranean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. We are contemplating a cruise and are trying to decide b/w two itineraries. The Rome/Monte Carlo/Spain ship leaves the 3rd week of July, and the Rome/Messina/Athens/Turkey trip leaves in mid-June.

We were in the Lake Garda/Lake Como and Cinque Terre regions of Italy this past summer in late June/very early July, so I know how hot it can get. It was 90 in Sirmione and felt like 90 the remainder of the our trip. I am aware of the type of heat that we will be experiencing going at this time. I know it is more comfortable to go other times of year, but we are traveling with our 2 teen boys, so it needs to be over the summer.

Is there a noticeable difference in heat/crowds in 3rd week of June v. 3rd week of July time frames?

Also, if you have an opinions on the two different itineraries (Eastern v. Western Med), I'd be interested in hearing them as well.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM

The July dates are in the school holidays in Europe, so expect most places to be very busy.

I doubt whether you'll see much difference in teperatures, as both trips are at a baking time of the year for the areas that you would be in.

Purely on a choice basis, I'd prefer the Greek cruise for the potential ports of call.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM

If all things were equal, I would certainly lean towards June. However, they are not. I would want to know the specifics of each itinerary: exactly which ports, how many hours in each port, if you are being tendered into port, how many days, and which ship. Can you post the itinerary or give us a link to them?
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Based on experience I would say that in June there will be less European tourists that in late July. The weather factor between those two dates is a wild card, I wouldn't even attempt to predict. Frankly, I would let the itinerary be the deciding factor (ie what itinerary I liked best). If you like both itineraries the same, I would do the mid June cruise.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:38 AM

I did a Med Cruise in mid July in 2005 and it was miserably hot and terribly crowded. The ship was swarming with children who ran all over uncontrolled - mostly Italians on our sailing as we went with an Italian line rather than a North American line. I would not do it again.

I would choose June if summer was my only option.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:45 AM

July = more kids.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:56 AM

For me, the June itinerary sounds more interesting.

Generally speaking June isn't as hot as July but the June cruise is to slightly hotter countries. So, six of one....

Just remember the Noel Coward song, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Here are the itineraries:

June cruise: Rome, Messina/Sicily, Athens, Ephesus/Turkey, Crete, Rome (7 days - 2 full days at sea; docked, never tendered, in each port).

July 22 cruise: Rome, Genoa, Monte Carlo, Corsica, Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca, Rome (7 nights; only one full day at sea; docked in each port except tendered in Monte Carlo)

My kids don't care about seeing anything - they probably won't want to leave the boat. My husband likes the idea of seeing Athens. Perhaps this sounds ignorant (and I haven't done much research; please correct me if I am totally wrong): but the Eastern Med cruise looks like it's really a lot of ruins? I think the ruins of Turkey and Athens would be really interesting, but I wonder if by Crete I will tired of looking at ruins.

Both cruises are on Royal Caribbean. I chose these 2 b/c of the family friendly ship, and b/c they leave from Rome. I really, really want to spend some time in Rome, so we will spend several days there before the cruise departs.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Karens, another vote for June!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM

We vacation each year in the south of france, mid june oto mid july.

I swear that it get sen degrees hotter come july first!

We have had heat waves in the middle of June, but in general, the weather is nicer in June and hotter in july. We hardly take day trips after the 4thof july, it's just hot and as others have said, crowded and lots of school children.

I think the cruise in june sounds great, how can you get bored in a weeks time?
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM

If all these ports are new to you, I would do June. I also think your teen boys will like that itinerary better . And yes, you are correct in saying that there will be a lot of ruins and antiquity involved in the July one.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM

The big ruins will be on the June cruise to Athens and Ephesus. Ephesus is one of the most impressive archeological sites I have ever visited - absolutely amazing, but it will be hot, even in June. Take hats and lots of water. I personally think your boys would like Barcelona and Gaudi's architecture better than anything else on either itinerary, but you know them best
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the ruins are on the June cruise.

I agree, Sassafrass, that the boys would enjoy Gaudi's architecture. My husband and I have been to Barcelona, but the other ports on that boat would be new to us. We haven't been to any place on the Greece/Turkey itinerary.

I spent time last night on TripAdvisor looking at photos of each location on both trips.

Crete's beaches look amazing! If we choose that trip, we will spend our Crete time at the beach.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Oops, sorry, got them confused, meant to say June cruise will be full of antiquities. If you are into that it's a very popular cruise. However, given that your kids are going with you , unless they are into that stuff the July itinerary seems better.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Is there a noticeable difference in heat/crowds in 3rd week of June v. 3rd week of July time frames?

a HUGE difference IME - not only much hotter but suffocating crowds as well in places like Florence, Venice and Rome and seaside towns in Italy, the Riviera and Spain. But since you are on a cruise then at least finding affordable hotels during the tourist crunch will not be a problem.

as for which itinerary you can't go wrong with either.