Michaelangelo Blindfolded

Apr 12th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Michaelangelo Blindfolded

A question for the art historians:

A while back, I watched a vintage 70's Florence travelogue in which they showed a section of the outside foundation of the Palazzo Vecchio on which there was a carving of a man's face that is claimed to have been done by a teenage Michaelangelo with his eyes blindfolded. (A bit of showboating for his buddies, it was said.) Try as we might, we could not locate this image when we recently found ourselves outside the Palazzo Vecchio.

Has anyone ever seen this carving? Where, on the building, is it?

By the way, if you love Michaelangelo's works, do not, do not, do not miss the Pieta that is in the Museum del Opera del Duomo. It is one of his last works, it is unfinished, and he portrayed himself in the character of Nicodemus. I have rarely been as moved as I was by this work. Here we were in a museum on a chilly rainy day in Florence with entirely too many dopey high school students milling about and yet, when I looked at that sculpture, I suddenly felt very, very sad. It's just extraordinary - there's no other way to describe it.
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:03 PM

I don't know the answer to your question. But I totally understand your emotion about the Pieta. Museo Opera del Duomo is my favorite. So many incredible jewels there, close up and personal.
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Also don't miss the Bargello. It has Baccus and many more.
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:22 AM
cd

Barberiso
Please forgive my ignorance but I thought a Pieta was of the Virgin Mary and the dead body of Christ and yet you mention Nicodemus in this sculpture.
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Michaelangelo did 3 Pietas still around. One is in St Peter's with just Mary and the dead Christ. Another is in Milano I think, and there's a third in Florence, recently placed in the beautiful Museo del Opera behind the Duome. It is a later work when he was pretty on in years and has a few other people in it, Nicodemus, which some say is Michaelangelo's likeness as well as a small out of scale woman )Magdelane?) It is beautiful and this museum is a gem. So many works which have been brought in from outside on the facade of the Baptistry etc. I loved this place and I don't think it draws the huge crowds.
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:18 AM
cd

Thanks PeggyAnn for that info.
I stood in awe for a long time looking at the Pieta in St Peters and am now very sorry we missed this museum while in Florence.
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Incidently, this museum also houses the original doors to the Bapistry. And it has some incredible relics.
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:48 PM

The great sight used to be when you could walk up close to the Pieta at St Peter's. It was like this when my wife and I first saw it in 1971. Then the nut with the ax attacked the statue in 1974 or so and they had to put it behind glass. Sad commentary, but still awesome work.

Good read is the Ross King book on Michaelango and painting the Sistine.
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:03 PM

The Church of Our Lady in Brugge has a Michelangelo Madonna and Child also.