Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Meteora monasteries: other than the main six...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've been doing my research on the Meteora. I know there are the main six monasteries, but a lot of guides mention that there were originally many more. I'm kind of a fan of ruins, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to find/see any of the ones that are no longer in use. I'm not sure if they're totally gone, or if there are still foundations or buildings, or if they've been transformed into houses, or if they'd be on private property and therefore inaccessible. Does anyone else know? On Google map searches, I see a lot of meandering roads around the area, so I think it would be kind of fun to go exploring....

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM

we went on a coach tour from athens through delphi and out to kalambaka/ meteora
we were told there were about 24 from memory
but noone mentioned anything about actually being able to get there

if theyre not maintained , i dont think it would be possible given the 'interesting' locations lol
as it is you have to get up stairs and in some cases monks were lowered in baskets to get up and down from their perches

you might be able to ask the people who actually work in the monasteries
some of the surly looking matrons who stand vigilantly outside the churches ensuring noone takes pics may tell you
didnt seem that they spoke english though
take binoculars - there are some interesting sites in the rocks that the guide will tell you about
and youll also see rockclimbers from time to time hanging by a thumbnail here and there
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We'll be sure to take binoculars. As for the old monasteries, I wonder if they were all built on the rocks or if others were more reachable.... I really don't know! Cheers.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM

i think the whole point of building those awesome monasteries was for protection and of course to engineer something in the glory of God
so i doubt that there are ruins somewhere in meadow-like surroundings!

why they dont take you to the ruins ( if there are any) i dont know -perhaps it has to do with safety

what absolutely sucks is this though: the guide told us this- the churches and monasteries have always been so wealthy yet the poor cry out for help - even in recent times but the church wont unlock funds to help
real turn-off for me
but hey it was really worth the visit

do be aware that the toilets are mere holes in the ground- like a kitchen sink so watch what you wear - and you do have to wear a modest skirt anyway or else they will make you wear a hired one- one size fits all affair lol - makes for great photos haaha
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM

oh and be sure to have a good look at kalambaka -it is quite a nice town- at night you can see the lights of the monasteries high up in the rocks
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM

Lanejohann –I agree with your view that it's unlikely that there are easily accessible ruins –I would think there must be some evidence of other monasteries, but exploring them might well be dangerous. Although this isn't related to the finding hidden monasteries question, I must take issue with the impression you were given that ….''the poor cry out for help - but the church wont unlock funds to help.'' Maybe your guide had a personal axe to grind – in my local parish church in Athens, some of the women, including me, prepare food every single day so that poor people can be sure of a hot meal. We feed maybe forty people a day: the Church of Greece pays for this, and the ingredients are all of the highest quality – it's not left overs! This happens all over Athens, and I'm sure in the other cities too. Just thought you'd like to know that.