mestre or Venice for our family ?

Nov 20th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

mestre or Venice for our family ?

Hi !

I know that question have been answered many times and that staying in Venice is the way to go but, in our situation that could be different. We are arriving from Montreal on Sunday morning (july 7). My wife and I already been to Venice last year but this time with are back with the kids. Venice is not pour main destination, we have get a good price on direct flight to venice.

We have choose to stay 2 nights there. the first day would be somewhat loss because of jetlag (we arrive at 10:30 am), on the second day we want to show venice to the kids but to avoid San marco and head to Burano that we didn't seen last year.

We have think about getting a location in Mestre since cost could be much less than those in Venice. We will have to take train cost in account. We would like to keep the cost at 140 euro by night or less

Also we want to rent a car, but there seems to be more rental agency in Venice (near bus stop) than in Mestre., so that would mean that while the kids and wife stay at the hotel i'm going to Venice on the third day to take the car.

Question:
1) is there anything to see/do for our first jetlagged day in mestre ? Any good restaurants ?
2) How much the train between mestre and Venice cost ?
3) What would you do ?

Last edited by tostaky; Nov 20th, 2018 at 09:20 AM.
Nov 20th, 2018, 09:19 AM

Mestre is an ordinary town with little to see or do especially and trains to Venice cost just a few euros and go all the time. Check Padua for car rentals - could see bit of that neat old town with famous churches also. Lots of trains Mestre to Padua - buses from airport to Mestre cheap.

How old are kids? If old enough show them San Marcos first day - take public boat down Grand Canal.

I'd also consider staying in Venice near train station (and car rental pickup) if you can find cheap enough hotels - Venice at night - again a cruise down Grand Canal at night with the sublimely illuminated ancient facades silently slip by is so so awesome.

Last edited by PalenQ; Nov 20th, 2018 at 09:22 AM.
Nov 20th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Palenq, already seen Padua too since a friend of my wife is living there !
Nov 20th, 2018, 10:30 AM

If your primary sightseeing goal is to go to Burano, you'd be better off staying IN Venice rather than Mestre. Otherwise, your transport from Mestre to Burano will involve more steps and at least an hour longer round-trip. If you stayed in the Cannaregio area, you could walk to/from the train station and to/from the Fondamente Nove dock.

There are a few lodging options (with family rooms) near the Santa Lucia train station that are within your budget. I would search on booking.com for a start, filter by date, number of adults/child, read reviews, check locations on the map, etc.

I don't understand why you would avoid Piazza San Marco, especially in the early evening. If you're worried about the cruise ship crowds, they have, for the most part, left the PSM area by 5/6:00 pm.
Nov 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM

What you are thinking of doing ensures you are moving in sync with the massive cruise and the big bus budget tour groups who stay on the mainland side. You cannot beat the crowd getting to Burano if you cannot take the first or the second boat out of Fondamente Nove. Cannaregio would be good compromise:.
You would be ensuring a least memorable visit to Venice if you only visit there during the day.
The arrival day would not be lost if you stay in Venice even in Cannaregio. You can still walk around in Venice without messing around with a train. You have a WHOLE afternoon to walk around on your arrival day. Do you really want to throw away 1/3 of your possible time in "Venice?"
Nov 20th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Well I would stay in Venice but I'm not sure about finding a place for 4 (?) people for that price in a central area in the summer-time.
Nov 20th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Avoid Burano altogether if you don't want to see San Marco would be my advice.

In Mestre I dined several times in a very good italian restaurant called Marco Polo - splendid Seppia and fantastic spaghetti alle vongole. White wine was superb. One very good restaurant.
Nov 20th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for those answers ! Stilll thinking about our options.Venice would cost more than what we would like for sure.

And why should we avoid Burano if we chose to avoir San Marco this time ? We just dont feel the need to go back to San Marco this time. And our 7 and 11 years old kids could live without it for sure !
Nov 20th, 2018, 03:36 PM

So I have some good friends who had never been to Europe. I helped them get started on booking their reservations. They easily found an apartment on Airbnb in Venice. They said theirs was nice. I am sure if you are experienced travelers you will find a place, especially since you are looking early.
Nov 20th, 2018, 03:56 PM

I would stay in Venice. It really is magical once the crowds are gone. Your commute time from Mestre could exceed an hour. Someone at work booked an apartment in Mestre instead of Venice proper thinking it was Venice. Her commute was 1.5 hours one way. What about staying in Burano since it seems to to be the focus of these 2 days?
Nov 21st, 2018, 11:56 AM

What I mean is that i you don't want to stzay in Venice, and if you don't want to go to San Marco, why bother at all ?
Either you 'do' Venice or you don't. Mestre has no appeal.
Nov 21st, 2018, 07:12 PM

I recommend staying in the heart of Venice. Your kids will love it! I stayed at Pensione Guerrato twice and felt the rooms were spacious and a good value given the amazing location near the Rialto Bridge. https://hotelguerrato.com/ I landed in Venice from the west coast USA in summer 2014. I found the jet-lag worked to my advantage. I was up early and went for the most amazing run of my life before any crowds or people spoiled the scene. I recommend getting the multi-day vaporetto pass and riding the public taxi as much as possible. Magical!
Nov 22nd, 2018, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thibaut: Venice is not only about San marco.. Like I've said we already been there last year so dont feel the need to see San Marco again.
It will be our fourth travel in Europe with the kids, we weel know how we react with jetlag. One person experience doesn't make it true for everyone.

And Pension Guerrato would cost more than 500$ for 2 nights.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 07:06 AM

Have a reat trip.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 07:25 AM

Why not stay on Burano? You can leave your suitcases at left luggage in Piazzale Roma, and head straight out to the islands.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 07:37 AM

Maestre would be a hard sell but I've cycled around it and can advise there is a small historic centre with good restaurants and a large park. Certainly with jet lag it might be a good place to doze. Bus or train into Lido is dead easy and cheap and of course you dump down at a major vaparetto stop so easy peasy.

So while the magic of Venice is hard to beat I can well see the upside of a Maestre stop, just don't schlep the bags out there to bring them back.
To hire a car: do you need a car or is this just NA habits?, I might catch a bus back to the airport and hire it there to bring to the hotel while the kids complete packing etc.
A look at the Venice web site will give you all public transport options.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 10:22 AM

If you can save a ton by staying in Mestre do it - if not much stay in Venice. I've stayed in Mestre before and it's a normal Italian town - agree kids that age would be blase about San Marcos - will more love taking the boats.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=tostaky;16828394]Hi !

We have think about getting a location in Mestre since cost could be much less than those in Venice. We will have to take train cost in account. We would like to keep the cost at 140 euro by night or less

Originally Posted by tostaky View Post
Thibaut: Venice is not only about San marco.. Like I've said we already been there last year so dont feel the need to see San Marco again.
It will be our fourth travel in Europe with the kids, we weel know how we react with jetlag. One person experience doesn't make it true for everyone.

And Pension Guerrato would cost more than 500$ for 2 nights.
I'm going to assume CAD$ since you're flying out of Montreal. 140 at the moment is C$210 or slight more. Two nights that's $420. Adding the costs to shuffle yourselfs to Venice both ways. If that's the difference in price stay in Venice.

The other thing is don't stay in either. You've picked the busiest of the busiest season to arrive. All of Europe will be on vacation starting that weekend. Plus North American families. If Venice doesn't rank for you stay some place you are interested in. Save money. Hassle.

The only upside of Mestre is it's cheaper. But it's still likely more expensive than most other Italian cities.
Nov 22nd, 2018, 09:53 PM

You could consider Lido di Venezia, A short Vaporetto ride away, away from the maddening crowd. Lovely villas, family run restaurants and businesses. Over 10 kms of pretty beach too.
Nov 23rd, 2018, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Traveler_Nick;16829673]
Originally Posted by tostaky View Post
Hi !
The other thing is don't stay in either. You've picked the busiest of the busiest season to arrive. All of Europe will be on vacation starting that weekend. Plus North American families. If Venice doesn't rank for you stay some place you are interested in. Save money. Hassle.

The only upside of Mestre is it's cheaper. But it's still likely more expensive than most other Italian cities.
I know it will be busy, we dont really have a choice. In fact we do have two choice:
1) Travalling in july and august when we have vacations (i'm a teacher and my wife is a school psychologist)
2) Not travelling.

We do want to see venice again, but dont feel the need to be there plenty of time or to see Sans Marco. We finally made a reservation for an appartment that is a 10 minutes walk from train Station in Cannaregio. It will do the trick I guess,

We were there in July last year and while it was busy it was also easy to get away from crowd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO