Mercato Centrale at Termini: To Do or Not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears we are going to have several hours to kill between our flight touchdown at FCO (09:10 AM if we are on time) and our train to Verona from Termini (2:45PM). Earlier was "too early" so we are stuck with this departure time. I suspect we'll want to get something to eat around noon and I'm not yet sure storing luggage for a couple of hours to walk or taxi somewhere in Rome is worth the effort.

I have not been to the Mercato Centrale in either Rome or in Florence but have read about both. I'd personally rather find somewhere to sit and eat and sit some more for a while in the station so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears and thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The food at Mercato Centrale is assorted and high quality. We have had quality food in most Italian rail stations (fresh squeezed orange juice, nice pastries, deli style sandwiches, etc.), but the Mercato is a leap ahead. A gourmet food court with loads of chefs making food from scratch in front of you. Even a guy in the aisle cutting up artichokes. We had a nearby apartment and bought takeout for a fancy gourmet dinner at home, but, of course, there are plenty of tables to dine there. We were very impressed, and we only spent time on the first floor. I believe there may be sit-down restaurants on upper floors.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I might go to Mercato Centrale, but I wouldn't stay in the station for that long. But that's me. The Mercato could be crowded, but if you just want a snack....

Have you been to Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (museum)? It's about 5 minutes walking from Termini, has an excellent sculpture collection and a cloak room for the luggage. Closed Monday. No cafe, but there are a couple of decent restaurants nearby. Alessio, Nerone...

https://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=58

There are a few 5-star hotels within a 5-10 minutes' walk with nice restaurants and/or lounge bars, some with garden or rooftop views. NH Collection, Palazzo Naiada, Palazzo Montemartini.....
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all these reports/recommendations.