Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive but good food near Rome train station?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Maura and the 4 brothers

Hi
Need to have some suggestions for good but inexpensive food near Rome train station.
thank you,
Maura and the 4 boys

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:52 AM
claire

We grabbed decent panini on the run INSIDE Termini to take on the train with us. If you are looking for restaurants where you can sit and eat, I recall reading of some in the guidebooks for that area, but can't give you any first hand info.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:34 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Maura and the 4 brothers

Oh, please help!!!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Joyce

When I visited Rome about 2 years ago, the central train station (Termini) had a terrific cafeteria inside the train station. This cafeteria sold several different types of salads, with very fresh vegetables. There were also soups, meat dishes, and a wonderful choice of pies.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:35 AM
jt

That area is wall-to-wall "good but inexpensive" food, in and adjacent to the station. Ground level areas are a bit overwhelmed by crowds and sometimes not the cleanest, so best take the escalator to the basement of the station for some calmer choices (may be a second level basement that's even better).

Basically the whole area is a giant food court. As for the cafeteria, it looks good but seems to have that confusing multi line chaos system where you look at the food, ask the prices (get written quotes?) for various dishes, then pay, then bring receipts back to pick up dishes? Maybe hard when herding kids.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:40 AM
xxx

No, Maura isn't herding her 4 brothers!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:07 PM
KT

The cafeteria at the train station (part of the Ciao chain) does have separate queues for separate types of food, but the prices are (or should be) indicated at each area, and you just choose all of the things you want and then pay once when you exit the food area. The multiple queues can be a bit of a pain, but the paying part is straightforward.

As a budget solo traveller, I've eaten at various branches of this chain, and while it's hardly atmospheric or gourmet it is good and inexpensive. In fact, I went to one with Italian friends who often go there for a good, fast, cheap meal.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Maura and the 4 brothers

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maura, and her 4 brothers - Michael, Patrick, Brendan and Sean