Menu Chaillot - What does it mean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still planning our October trip and booked dinner on the Eifel Tower. During the booking I was presented with several choices, and since I wasn't exactly sure I just picked one. The choices were Chaillot + Menu for 75 E, or Menu Chaillot for 65 E. I had already been timed out once for trying to read all the details, so I picked the Menu Chaillot. What does that mean? I can't even find it online. Thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM

I doesn't mean anything. The Palais de Chaillot (Chaillot Palace) is just across the river from Tour Eiffel and they just thought using the name Chaillot would be cute. So it does not describe the food in any way.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

OK, now I am really confused. I went online with Menu Chaillot and it sent me to Trip Advisor and according to them the Menu Chaillot or Chaillot + Menu refers to dinner with a beverage or without. Still, lots of folks were confused, so I'm not sure if that is the definitive answer. I do know that I booked this off the official Eifel Tower website and it says the restaurant is on the first stage of the tower. Hope I haven't made a blunder.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:06 PM

They seem to offer:
Chaillot – aperitif, starter, main course, dessert
Chaillot + as above, plus wine, water, and coffee
Chaillot + Premier - champagne as your aperitif – Service différentié - (Supposedly better?) and better wine

Price does not include the fee to get to the restaurant
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM

In fact you can see the whole menu for October at
http://tinyurl.com/66ab9k
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM

This is Altitude 95, the "lesser" restaurant on the Eiffel Tower. That is more than we paid at Jules Verne several years ago (before it changed hands--don't know what it is now). Be sure to come back and tell us how it is. The reviews of this restaurant in the past have been "mixed" at best. The menu reads quite nice.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen: I looked at Jules Verne first, got all the way to the end and read the agreement that I had to accept and found there was a 190 Euro per person charge if I cancelled in two days or less before our date. Since I was having trouble navigating and keeping the language in English, I hadn't found the prices, so was thinking if the cancellation was that much the actual prices would be more than we wanted to pay. Also, my husband is not fond of heights, so the lower level seems a better choice. I know Altitude has mixed reviews, but the menu looks good and we're not going to be devastated if the food is less than gourmet. Regardless, we'll consider it an adventure and report back on return. We're traveling Oct. 15-29.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM

That restaurant may be using the word "chaillot" for some kind of meal or menu, but it is definitive that the word has no special meaning in France for some particular thing on a restaurant menu. It is just a name, that's all, so whatever use it has is limited to that restaurant.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM

Looking at the menu linked to above, I wasn't particularly impressed.

Basically,it's Foie gras or smoked salmon, then cod or roasted pork, then opera or cheesecake. Plus kir, 25cl wine and coffee.

I assume the view accounts for most of the price.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:13 AM

The height is basically the same for both restaurants. You can call Jules Verne and make a reservation (maybe). And for dinner it might be VERY expensive. I would go to either one for lunch where you can actually see something. Lights are fine, but the view is so much nicer in the day.
That is the big difference in price--you are looking at dinner.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all who responded. We did book the Altitude 95 for dinner, as we've been to the Eifel Tower before, during the day, and wanted to experience it at night. I am sure this is one of those touristy things that a "real Parisian" would consider tacky or foolishly expensive, but we ARE tourists and like to experience some of the ridiculous as well as the sublime. I don't imagine the food will be wonderful, nor the setting very elegant, but it still appeals to our sense of fun, so we'll go forward. I do honestly appreciate the information and help, and for sure I will report back on the experience upon return.