Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Menaggio, Tremezzo or Varenna on Lake Como

Oct 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

I just checked availability with the Hotel du Lac in Bellagio for September, 2008 - a superior double with a lake view. I was offered a standard double with view at 260 Euros! I am thinking twice about staying here at this price for a simple room. Then again, is this to going rate for Lake Como?

While I am still actively searching for a hotel in Bellagio, I am now more open to the possibility of staying in another town ... hopefully with hotels in the 230 Euros (or less) range.

I have seen references here about Menaggio & Tremezzo but need a bit more current information about each: restaurants, shops, hotel recommendations, and suitability for a four-day stay. (We will have a car.) Varenna is also a possibility.

Any advise?
Oct 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Hi 2010, we just had a very nice experience at the Hotel Metropole in Bellagio - a double with full lake view and small balcony for 144 Euro, and that was in August! We thought it was an excellent deal. We also had an offer from the Hotel du Lac (for significantly more money) but chose the Metropole based on advice from this forum.

That said, we also thought Varenna looked like a lovely place to stay. Bellagio may have more in the way of dining and shopping, but others can give you better advice because we were only on Lake Como for one night.
Oct 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM

With a car I find the west shore to be more convenient. I cannot belive those prices. Look at Hotel Bellavista in Menaggio--great location and views for less.
Oct 12th, 2007, 09:33 AM

I just got back from a trip that included Bellagio and we stayed at a great hotel called Hotel Silvio. For 2 people, 2 beds, breakfast and a balcony with a view of the lake we paid 89 euro/night. There was a lift. It was within walking distance to town and we loved it.
Oct 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

It seems that my travel agent made an error in quoting the prices from the Hotel du Lac in Bellagio. For 230 EUR, we are being offered a mini-suite on the 4th floor with a lake view. That seems like a more palatable rate than the 260 EUR for a standard double!!! Please note that the error was on this end and it was NOT the hotel's fault. Thank you. 2010
Oct 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM

The hotel's location looked pretty busy to us (we stayed in Varenna & visited Menaggio & Bellagio by ferry). It seemed that all of the "Du Lac's" were located pretty close to the ferry landings along the Como shoreline.

Menaggio appeared to be the only town of the three that would have any parking close to the lodging - certainly true of Varenna! And the street scene in Menaggio seemed a little more lived-in, with schools and stores catering to the locals as much as to the tourists.

The "public" parking lots I saw in Bellagio seemed to be located well uphill from the shoreline hotels, as well - unless the hotel offers guests parking. Having said that - the auto ferries make transporting your car to any of the 3 towns simple, tho' probably not as affordable as riding without the vehicle on either the people or auto ferry.
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM

2010, We stayed in the Hotel du Lac in Varenna. Lots of Du Lacs around!! It was great. We loved Varenna, very quaint, some great restaurants and less crowded than Bellagio. Certainly Bellagio has better shops but it is only a 10 mins ferry ride away if that is your thing. Certainly check out Varenna options, we wouldn't stay anywhere else!!
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Although you seem to have warmed to the du Lac in Bellagio at the corrected rate, would you consider an apartment a few blocks away? Look at www.residencelalimonera.com.
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hmmm ! Even 230E sounds high for that hotel---it is just a 3 star.
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses!

In my research for accommodations in Bellagio with the ammenties we are looking for puts us at the 200-230 EUR range. I also had Hotel Belvedere on my initial list until the published prices online came in at 261 - 288 EUR, beyond my budget!

When the Hotel du Lac first came in at the higher price, one realistic alternative was to look at another town on the lake. Now that my heart palpatations have slowed down, I must admit that it has been our hope to stay in Bellagio this trip. So, the Hotel du Lac it is! And yes, Ronin, the hotel offers guest parking (fee).

We will definitely visit Varenna & Menaggio during our stay and experience their charm by day! We do hope to return to this area again!