Megalithes from Dinan?

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Megalithes from Dinan?

We are driving from Rennes to Dinan for 2 nights and my husband is drawn to the megalithes in Carnac as a day trip from Rennes then heading to Dinan. I am trying to research but it appears that there is only a very small museum that doesn't appear to have good reviews, and the large site seems to be fenced off so you cannot walk around...and it's hard to tell what kind of vantage point we'd have. The idea sounds appealing but I can't tell if we might be disappointed after spending almost two hours in a car to get there and not learn a whole lot or be able to see a whole lot? Thought/opinions from anyone who has been there?
I am leaning towards a small loop from Rennes to Vitre then Fugeres, checking into Dinan later that day instead...but would like opinions.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 05:50 AM

The stones at Carnac are the largest collection of stones (not just megaliths, but menhirs, dolmens, alignments, and tumuli) anywhere in Brittany (probably anywhere in France). It is true, however, that they are fenced off except in winter. Whether or not it would be worth visiting depends on your interest in the subject and how important it is to you to see THOSE stones. There are quite a number of other such sites in northeastern Brittany much closer to where you'll be driving that might be just as well suited for your purposes.

Vitré is worth a (fairly short) visit. Fougères deserves some time - it's massive and the town is attractive.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2!4d-1.6871389 no fences

Fougeres really good
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:58 AM

There are others that aren't fenced off in the area. Less crowded and more interesting because of that.That said Carnac is imressive and worth a look. To access the stones at Carnac in the summer you have to go on a guided tour. In the winter a gate is open so you can access them. We didn't bother with a tour as we had already been to several other sites.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:10 AM

FrenchMystique made a sensational report some time ago about all of the megaliths, dolmens, menhirs, etc. that can be found throughout Brittany. I went to Carnac about 40 years ago and loved it, but it is not the only place to visit to see such things.

Brittany Vacation in the Gulf of Morbihan | Any Port in a Storm
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:19 AM
kja

Although Carnac’s stones are fenced in, you can see a LOT from walking the perimeter. I'm really glad I did that! And although small, I thought the museum had some interesting items -- but then, I love that kind of thing.

If you do go to Carnac, you might consider stopping at nearby Locmariaquer as well.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Walking around the big dolmen area is very interesting, and you can also visit the underground tomb nearby. You don't need to walk right up to the Carnac dolmens to see them. In fact, what's most impressive is the sheer number, all in their rows.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:51 PM

The alignments at Carnac are one of the most incredible of megalithic monuments on the planet and even if you are there in the summer when you can't walk among most of them they are right next to the road and visually stunning for anyone who is into megaliths. If you happen to be near the Côte de Granit Rose then the most stupendous cairn can be found not far from there and that is the Grand Cairn de Barnenez, which is virtually unknown: Grand cairn de Barnenez

My trip report that kerouac linked to is loaded with info and photos of the carnac alignments and loads of other megalithic sites in the area. There are also plenty of megalithic sites near Rennes and Dinan, such as La Roche aux fées, the largest dolmen in France: Visiter Essé - La Roche aux fées - Dolmen - Tourisme Bretagne

The following website is the best resource for researching the location of megalithic sites and you just need to select your département in France and use other filters to find them:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/search.p...ience=&access=
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 04:25 AM

Hello,
I went to Brittany last year with my wife and it was just lovely! If you're looking for a nice place to base during your trip, I advise you to stay in the old town Dol de Bretagne.
The city itself is worth visiting because of its old medieval looking type of town, plus it is near everything (you can reach Saint-malo and Dinan by train in 20 minutes, Rennes in 30, Mont saint Michel by bus or bike...).
There's stones near the town too, one of them is deeply linked to the History of the city. It's name was "Menhir chant dolant" or something, not the biggest of them all but still impressive.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 06:16 AM

I normally agree with FMT on everything, but you need to see what is on Orkney before you give out world class status