75th Anniversary D-day tour questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DW and I recently (2016) assisted another couple on a trip to France for their 40th anniversary, and it included a couple of days in the American Sector of D-day areas for a day of DIY and a full day professional tour. The primary purpose of the professional tour was to be able to do a "follow the soldier" type tour of his Father, who was a Ranger who arrived on D-day at Pointe du Hoc. We had a professional assist us on a one-day tour that focused on the 2nd Btn Army Rangers, and specifically Dog Company. Given the one day nature of the tour, we were limited to the D-Day beaches area. As a result of his experience (and photos), his siblings are all wanting to take a tour of much of the areas their father experienced, which basically starts at Pointe du Hoc, then travels west until his outfit was sent to clear the fortress out at Brest. Their father was severely wounded on September 3rd during the Battle for Brest, and it is a mandatory part of their plan. Since we're planning to actually arrive in France on June 6 next year (not excited about fighting the crowds in Normandy on the actual ceremony at Pointe du Hoc) the plan is to land and head west towards Brest. Here's where the questions come in to play.

My research here on Fodor's shows next to nothing about Brest. I suspect because it is like Caen, and was nearly totally rebuilt following the allies bombing campaign to root out the remaining German forces so not much in the quaint or historic building/city tourist draw. The limited western Brittany stuff I've seen in the threads recommend Quimper instead. However, our hero was wounded on Hill 63, which is just north and west of Brest itself. So here are the specific questions:

Has anyone toured Brest and able to advise if there any significant sites for WWII remembrance, and specifically the Hill 63 area?

Other than the actual area of Hill 63, we are not fully set on hitting the regular sites out there, so would it be possible or a good idea to instead train to Rennes on June 6th and use it as a base for 2-3 days?
We could train to Brest for a day and come back to Rennes and maybe travel to Mont St. Michel the next day?
Would renting a large van in say Rennes or Brest and just driving the entire trip be more sensible? We could try to pick one up in Brest or Rennes and return it in Caen.

Following the Brest portion, the plan is to visit MSM on the way back east, and then head to the Bayeux area on either the 8th or 9th. From Bayeux, we've got a 3-4 day plan for the D-Day stuff already in the works and are hoping that by the 9th, most of the security and crowds from the 75th anniversary will be dissapated or gone.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have on this area of France.