Meaning of Hotel Rate Description: GDS

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM
MHS

Meaning of Hotel Rate Description: GDS

In researching hotels for York, I came across the description of Rate Plan for York Moat House: Special GDS Rate. Does anyone know what that means? Is it a British abbreviation for "Government Employee"?
Thanks

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Not Registered

GDS usually means Global Distribution System, in other words the reservation system that travel agents and airlines use. I would assume that a GDS rate must be booked through a travel agent but I don't understand why it would be published on a website (if that's where you saw it). A government rate would be described as such, not abbreviated. Sometimes hotels booked through a GDS can only be cancelled through the same channels, a guest cannot call the hotel directly to cxl but must call the travel agent to do so (some stupid stipulation) and the cancellation policies may differ from those of online rates. I hope this helps explain the GDS thing and that you have a fabulous time in York. It's a beautiful city.