Reload this Page >

Need New France Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Eric

My wife and I are both Francophiles. Each year for the past four we spent a week or two in Provence and/or the Cote d'Azur. Additionally we spend one or more long weekends in Paris each year.<BR><BR>I just booked the flights for 11 days in France at the end of May through the beginning of June, but I am looking for suggestions regarding a new itinerary.<BR><BR>We will certainly spend a few days in Paris, but we have not decided where else to go. My wife likes to shop, and we both enjoy good food and wine. We also both enjoy art.<BR><BR>I enjoy driving so we are not limited to the rail lines. The only limitation is that we don't want to stay any place that rolls up the sidewalks at 10:00 p.m.<BR><BR>Suggestions?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:32 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Time to visit Languedoc.<BR>Like Provence, but undiscovered, quieter, cheaper and unspoilt.<BR><BR>My homepage has lots of info<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com/<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Michael

Strasbourg, Lyon, Toulouse. I don't know about Bordeaux. Each of these large towns is in an area that offers many sightseeing opportunities. Good food and wine are readily available in these cities--check the Red guide. Otherwise the provinces are still the provinces, and while cafes stay open later, I doubt that there is much else going on.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Great-great-great-great-great-great grandson of Jacques Cartier

Oh, I thought you wanted an itinerary for &quot;New France&quot;!<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Michael

I posted one two hours ago. It seems to have disappeared. So here goes again:<BR><BR>Places to go: Strasbourg, Lyon, Toulouse. Bordeaus, I guess, but I am not familiar with in. On the way to any of these places, you can visit the countryside. That would include a very short view of the Dordogne area. <BR><BR>From Toulouse, you could visit Albi, Carcassonne, Montauban (nice Place des Vosges square and an Ingres museum) and Moissac). Another posting indicated that even the Cirque de Gavarnie is within a day's tour, although I thin that it is pushing it.<BR><BR>Going to the Alsace, you can visit Troyes and Ronchamps (sp?). The route des vins is readily accessible from Strasbourg, as is Colmar and the crest of the Vosges.<BR><BR>Burgundy is on the way to Lyon, but I admit to not knowing the area around Lyon.<BR><BR>I recommend Discovering the Villages of France by Michael Busselle as a guide to your touring, and of course the Green Guide, either for France as a whole or for the region you choose. Get also the spiral version of the Michelin Motor Maps for France. Use stickums to identify the villages you want to visit on the way to your main destination or as trips from the main destination.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Eric

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:44 PM
LaSalle

Cartier, I had the same thought!<BR><BR>Glad to know that there is another daft one on the board. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Ron

Seconding the recommendation for Albi. Very attractive and interesting town, probably our favorite. Close by is the pretty hill town of Cordes-sur-Ceil.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM
StCirq

If you really are francophiles and you haven't been to the Dordogne....well, it's about time.