independent reservations or travel agent?

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
independent reservations or travel agent?

I am planning a trip to Peru and can"t decide: a) book the reservation with hotels/airline directly or b)use a travel agents....It appears that travel agent booking is much more expensive (even when they claim to specialize in an independent travel...). Would any of the fodorites provide an advice?! Also, is booking tours locally feasible (or they are all sold out during high season?) Thanks in advance for all pending help!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I have just done the plans for an extensive and upscale three week trip to Argentina and Chile by self.
I think you may find a local travel agent much more time/cost efficient, but the airfares can be compared online.
M
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I NEVER use a travel agent for many reasons. 1.Many of the boutique hotels I like to stay at book clents directly before having to pay a percentage to a travel agent.So,I would never get in if I didn't contact them directly. 2. Most of the travel gents I used in the past really had no idea about the area they were sending me. I always got better up to date info from the hotels 3.I've NEVER had a travel agent get me better airline rates than booking directly.

These are my personal experiences. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but I've always had better luck on my own. Now, with the internet info available it couldn't be easier!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions - what about transfers between hotels/airport/bus stations, etc - is it easily/cheaply arranged by the hotel or this is the advantage of a travel agent?
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM

Hi,
Airline tickets arenīt cheaper through a travel agent. Iīd recommend to buy them by yourself, cause you might be able to get better deals - a new airline Wayra Peru is offereing domestic flights at about $40 less than Lan Peru or Taca.
Hotel/airport tranfers are also cheaper on your own. Everybody uses taxis and are very cheap. Off the street taxis could be dangerous (although cheaper), but there are plenty formal taxi companies that offer very good rates.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Good day dy123:

Well here is another point of view to confuse things.

Of course there are good agents and poor ones. Up to you to select good over bad.

In most areas of my experience, no one can do a better job than the expert in the field. As a traveller, particularly going to unknown places, you are not an expert. Me either.

When there are 100 ways of doing something wrong there are obviously much fewer ways to do it right. As a non expert, what are your chances?

A good agent will earn their money. Our last travel to Chile/Argentina was arranged by a very competent agent. I have found that the Latin countries of central America are less reliable [as I found Fiji], unlike New Zealand where my visits proved to me that their word is their bond - in most cases. I did not know about Chile/Argentina.

When I am not knowledgeable, I use an agent who is. I am yet to be disappointed. If you are looking for the very cheapest way, you will be prey to the sharks. I am happy to get what I pay for and I do not mind that the agent makes a living. If they did not, why would they want to work? I certainly never ever worked for nothing - or at least tried not to.

Pick a good agent. Are they dependable in their responding to you? Do they listen to your requests? Do they explain why your idea is not the best? Why their is? Have they been where you want to go? Do they offer any good NEW ideas on that spot? Do they appear to do their home work? Are they pushing items you indicate that you have no interest in?

On our last trip to Chile/Argentina I first went to our local AAA office. The manager spoke to me. I had done some pre-planning and wanted a given route for a given time - more or less. After a month of waiting, they came back ass backwards. I had wasted my time and delayed booking where the area does not have large infrastructure. But I did not waste my money and I had begun early.

No one is perfect so check out an agent at home or in the country you wish to visit. A good one will make your trip fantastic becasue they should know their business and be willing to do he work.

Good luck.

Woodie
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM

We've just done a trip to Peru without travel agents and had no problems at all. We booked tours before we left home for Colca Canyon, our overnight on Lake Titicaca and, of course, our Inca Trail. Otherwise we used local transport and booked everything as we went. Booking tours locally is also feasible, unless you want to do the Inca Trail which needs to be booked a few months in advance. I will be doing a trip report over the next few days, but if you've any questions just ask!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I find the average agent to be no more knowledgeable than I CAN BECOME simply by doing my homework. I have not used a TA since 1965 when I by accident found out I was paying extra for a hotel when the TA had swore "She" had better or same prices than booking direct. It just was not true. Half the fun of going is doing the research IMO!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM

stew:

>>>Half the fun of going is doing the research IMO!<<<

Right on the mark! TA's do the same research from the same sources as all of us independent travelers do...so why not increase your enjoyment overall, by doing it yourself...involve the kids if they are part of your plans..or at least husband and wife or SO's...I have traveled the world over since 1946!! and never have used a TA for even one mile (or km).(of course, travels 1946-1948 were courtesy of the U.S. Army!!)

Stu T.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites, thanks for your comments - i have decided to do the bookings myself. We travelled all over Europe and some Central America countries (without speaking Spanish) and fared well so far. The only organized trip was to China and it drove me crazy with "on the bus, off the bus" approach. We are leaving for Peru in late Sept - will post upon our return!