Search

meaness

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meaness

I just read the Photos of Davis thread and was amazed at the meaness in messages among Fodorites. I've used this forum sporadically to plan trips and have not registered to post anything before this week. It seems as if many know one another from this forum and this may be just teasing among "friends". I was interested in one woman's post when she asked a sincere question but ask that others be kind to her in the replies. The information shared on this forum is fabulous. Are the insult necessary?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM

gracieb
You should make that "meaness in messages among CERTAIN Fodorites"
as long as I have been reading/posting on Fodors, there have been mean people, as there are elsewhere in the world. You will notice after a while that there seem to be a certain few who cannot control the meanness.
Teasing is usually not that mean..best thing is ignore it or expect it..don't let it stop you from posting.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:52 AM

gracieb
Would you be the "woman asking a sincere question" in the post when you asked about the charge on your bill for burning the carpet in Paris?
I just re-read that, and while maybe you would not like the answers, most of them were not too mean. Sad to say, I have seen meaner~
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Gracieb:Most all "meaness" is in response to a Troll or when someone asks the same question on more than 1 thread,or gets the answer and won't accept what many people explain to them.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Some people refuse to accept the obvious and they call it "mean."
Some people want people here to do everything for their trip, planning, etc., etc., except actually go ON it and when people suggest they do a "search" they call that "mean."
There seem to be a lot of pretentious people here; there are also a lot of very helpful people here; there are some narrow-minded people here; and there are some people who you'd probably like to travel with here.
A slice of life I suppose...you winnow the wheat from the chaf, continue to live your own life, and do NOT let your entire day and being revolve around the personalities here, especially the ones that will write anything which might prolong their 15 minutes of fame.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Blacktie

... hello, gracieb, I'm sure the all-purpose poster(s) would rate my response as "mean" since I suggested you pay up for your damage.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

No, I don't. Sincere input is and was appreciated. I'm not referring to those comments. I'm referring to many I've seen today on varied threads, the Photos of David being the interpersonal insults (of which I have no part of in any way whatsoever). Yesterday, I asked for input and appreciated it. I never said I was "right" and wanted feedback (and received it). I'm talking about unsolicited blasts to posters on this forum.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:11 PM

There are some very helpful people here, and there are also several losers who have nothing better to do than to write nasty, snide responses to queries. Try to pick through the posts, disregard the nasties and keep the information that you feel is relevant. I sincerely believe that the know it alls, the snobs, and the people who just can't behave are very shallow and lonely. Notice who is authoring the posts of value and who is writing crap - you'll soon see a trend and know who to ignore.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I disagree with mgmargate. I don't think the "mean" repliess are usually in response to a troll or silly questions or stubborn OP's. But I do find they (whether mean, argumentative or simply smart-aleck) most often come from a very small group of repeat posters on this BB (y'all know who you are).
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Trolls are often people who are just beginners and don't really get it. I made several mistakes at first. Now I try to ask questions that can't be answered via searches and other threads or from other online sources. I have gotten GREAT advice and hope I have been able to give a little of that back as well. Opinions are hard to glean from commercial web sites, but are so easily offered in here.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM

"Meaness"? Isn't that how a Scotsman refers to a always-hidden part of his body?

Sorry, but...J'aime typos!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Capo! GTYR!

And (notso) Dear Kingdom, why does anonymity justify unpleasantness?