Reload this Page >

McDonald's in Paris

Search

McDonald's in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM
mayorl

McDonald's in Paris

I took my kids to the McDonalds near the Denfert Rochereau metro one night earlier this month (by the Catacombs), and noticed they were promoting free internet access. I came back a day later, bought a cup of
Coffee and turned on my Powerbook. I spent the next 45 minute checking arrangements and emailing. At 9am, there were at least 6 other people with laptops with the same idea. The gentleman next to me confided that it was the only thing that could bring him to a McDonalds !

I was surprised at how prevalent WiFi was in Europe. Other cafes also offered similar service (but with 20 minute time limits). My 12in Powerbook was an ideal size to tote around Europe (it also doubled as a DVD player for the kids).

So here is one reason to go to McDonalds ! : )

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its catching and so handy. There are a few places in Dublin but the one I know best is the Chester Beatty Library behind Dublin Castle. A few people go there daily to the cafe and work on their laptops over coffee. There is no time limit and free! You can even go a little bit outside the building and get connected while in the sunshine.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Dommage, Dommage !
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I go to Paris to get away from McDonalds and my computer! I can't imagine spending 45 minutes on a computer when Paris is calling.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM

An obsession defies rational understanding.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:57 AM

So, USMR and mamc - does this mean that once you begin your travel, you NEVER step into an internet cafe to send /read email, check weather forecasts, book next hotel...? Because I don't see any difference in that versus what mayorl said he/she did on the laptop (ie. "checking arrangements and emailing&quot.
What the other people were doing is unknown to us and irrelevent, as they could have been local professionals or students.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Recently, we have stayed in hotels with internet access for guests and once every couple of days, one of us will send a quick e-mail to the family. It probably does not take more than 30 minutes per trip, if that. But we have only once used an internet cafe when there was an unexpected emergency at home. I spend hours on the internet at work - vacation is to get away from that.