Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris in September... Hotel Eber Mars or Hotel de la paix (in the 7eme)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I have been spending time reading all of your posts religously, and I appreciate all of the wisdom that is offered here! My husband and I need to choose a hotel for a trip to Paris in September (my first time, his 3rd), and I would love any input you could offer as both of the hotels we are considering seem to have minimal (if any) posts. We had hoped for the Hotel Muguet or the Hotel des Balcons, but both are booked. So, we are looking at the Hotel Eber Mars (recently renovated) or the Hotel de la Paix (in the seventh - i know there are a few with that same name). Please advise! I know one of you must have some recent knowledge of these places.... I read about them in Great sleeps. Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Is there any particular reason for sticking with the Hotel Eber Mars and Hotel de La Paix? Did you get offers from either of them?

There are other good hotels located in the same areas.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately all of the other "go to" hotels (muguet, levecque, balcons, de varenne, champs du mars) that i had been thinking of are all booked for our dates, sept 24 - 30. we really wanted to stick to 100 - 125 euros, as we're on a budget. It is our 3rd anniversary, and i just want to be sure we are choosing something nice.... if you have a better suggestion, i would happily take it!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM

So are you open to staying in a different district other than the 7th? Because I see you mentioned the Balcons which isn't in the 7th.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

We'd like to stay on the left, and I thought the 7th sounded lovely, but again, if it is highly recommended I would be glad to look into it. Your comments are appreciated, francophile - i think i read your comments somwhere about a hotel with lots of chintz and toile (the hotel danube, maybe?), and that is not my scene, either. I do enjoy "old-world" or shabby-antique decor when done well as much as I enjoy a modern looking hotel.... again, just want something lovely and reliable.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

although, the marais sounds interesting too... I am lost, as you can see! i have read too much, and now i am confused!
by the way, we live in New York City (downtown - Nolita), if that means anything to our tastes...
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Can you check if you would be interested in Hotel St. Thomas d'Aquin? It's in the 7th also but on the St. Germain side. It's pretty inexpensive-120 euro per night exclusive of breakfast (an extra 9 euro/pp). Decor looks nice and location can't be better. Rooms will be a bit small but that's Paris. Just ask for a room streetside as it's brighter. No, never stayed here but it seems great for an inexpensive, well-located hotel. Web address is www.aquin-paris-hotel.com

What about Hotel du Globe on rue des Quatre Vents in the 6th? It looks like it was recently remodeled. Website is www.globe-paris-hotel.com

The Marais doesn't have so many choices except maybe Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc and Hotel de La Place des Vosges but the latter gets mixed reviews about some rooms. And Jeanne d'Arc is pretty basic looking.

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

francophile, the hotel st. thomas d'aquin looks perfect! wow, what a cute place for such a great price! how did you hear about it? do you think there's a catch? ; ) regardless, i have sent in a request. hopefully they will have space for us! i also just came across the hotel therese - looks very refined, 3 stars, around 135 euros a night. maybe send a request to it as well, even though it's in the 1st. do you know that one? hoteltherese.com
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I think you can do a whole lot better that Muguet-which doesn't impress me much-except for one room-and the D'Acquin is alright, the location is good, but the rooms, small-how much are you willing to spend for one night?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

hi spygirl - i'm not too worried about small, as i live in a tiny new york studio. i am used to being a bit cramped all the time! we are looking to spend 120 euros or less. I kept hearing such great things about the muguet, so many raves, but it leaves you cold? how come? what hotel do you love in that price range?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:46 PM

miss_emery, actually I came across the Hotel Thomas d'Aquin after I saw it mentioned here and I also have one of those guides called "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris" which is like a small Bible. It didn't look appealing from the picture in the book especially since they showed the lobby only. So I checked their website and I find it looks good for the price/location. I think someone recently made an unfavorable comment here. I think it had to do with the room size or so-can't really remember-but it wasn't a major negative comment.

About the Therese I actually stayed at its sister hotel in the 7th (St. Germain side) called Hotel Le Verneuil. Great hotel and excellent location. The only negative is that the std. doubles are tiny! Was only for myself but after two nights I admit I was getting claustrophobic; luckily the bathroom was almost as large as the room so I at least had someplace else to wander around

About the Therese's rate of 135 euro are you sure that's not for a single? Their website shows 130 euro for a single (not 135 euro). The rate for a standard double is 165 euro.

To be honest, I had emailed Therese a while back while researching for a hotel to stay and the manager gave me the room sizes. The largest rooms will be the double deluxe and suites. The suites are only about 20 sq. m. However, the regular doubles are tiny as the Verneuil's-12 sq. m.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM

miss_emery I think the Muguet is quite overhyped. Practically everyone knows about it and it's in almost all guidebooks. From what I read the mattresses are not that comfortable and it's just an ok hotel. There's nothing to rave about. Staff seems to be hot and cold depending on who is at the desk.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Miss Emery-nothing special about the Muguet at all, unless you get the top floor room with the view of the Eiffel, and I've not heard good things about the personnel who work there-not exactly helpful or warm. And I don't really like the location-it's not close enough to the Left Bank-you want to be down there in the 5th or 6th arr. to be where the cafe action is-the heart of Paris, in my opinion.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Spygirl, to add to what you said, it's not a sure thing you can reserve the coveted Eiffel Tower view room. It appears that Madame, the owner, decides who gets the view room. If asked, she will not promise it.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Right, I heard that. Madame is a prima donna.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

good to know the real dish on the muguet... thanks for the scoop! francophile, i checked the hotel therese, and it says "single/double standard" for 130E. Does that mean a double bed for one person? I took it as single OR double. I guess i will find out when they reply to me. Too bad that Le Verneuil looks a bit out of my price range... that sounds like another decent option (i am focusing on the big bathroom, which i always love!). I know it will be tough if the room is small, but i will take cute over big any day. Sensible, no? : ) And Spygirl, I agree that the cafe area is ideal - it sounds like my dreamland idea of paris. Did you have any other hotel recommendations?
BTW, any favorite shopping finds? I am looking forward to the flea markets, and I hear the marais is good for vintage clothing and cute boutiques...
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:40 PM

I was "pre-reading" the 10th ed. of "Great Sleeps" at Booksamillion and read that another hotel owner had remodeled Thomas d'Aquin...so the rooms might be improved now from those pictures.

Ira must have gone to bed or he would readily recommend Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th - 115 for double, 130 for superior double (at least that's how I remember other posts).

A couple of frequently mentioned hotels at reasonable rates for the 5th are Hotel St Jacques and Hotel Monge (Residence Monge).

I think the newly remodeled Hotel de l'Alma in the 7th looks nice, 107 for double - has anyone stayed there this year? I don't have my notes with me now, but I think it is listed on www.france-hotel-guide.com.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:36 PM

miss_emery, I guess the single could be for two but it's usually for one person. But the room will be very small. There is a shower only no bathtub. A bathroom that has a tub usually has a larger bedroom. That's why the standard double costs more.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

So, I am waiting to see it St. Thomas d' Aquin has any availability... i hope so! Travelnut, thanks for your thoughts. I think i will look into hotel de l'alma as well. Newly renovated always appeals to me. If not those, we may have a go at the Eber Mars... I asked them if they had any pictures, and they did not send me any but did mention that they are in the process of enhancing their webiste and adding photographs, should be done this week... and i will be sure to report on whatever we end up with when i return! thanks for the advice, you guys are all so helpful and knowledgable. i can only hope to be as well traveled someday!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Try the Hôtel de France in the neighborhood you're interested in.

www.hoteldefrance.com

We've been staying there for years and love the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -