Maybe We'll Get To Portugal After All!

Old May 20th, 2020, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe We'll Get To Portugal After All!

We have a September trip already planned (although I need a new flight since our flight was canceled) Interesting article today. Would you risk it? I might.

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arthu...a4nFH8nQmGwnj4
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:27 AM
twk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd certainly consider it. I had to cancel my trip to France in July because of economic reasons (can't afford to be off work if things are getting back open here), but part of me was thinking that it might have been great to be there with much smaller crowds than usual.

September is probably a good time to go. If we don't get a vaccine, this thing may end up being a seasonal phenomenon, where it picks up every winter, and dies down as summer approaches for the next couple of years.
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Tom:

I will be travelling from UK.

I am ditching my June/July trip to Sicily, as it is too soon (waiting for the airline to cancel first).

However, I still have the plan in the diary for Greece in October (no flight booked, just cancelable hotels).

I am taking a 'wait and see' attitude. As countries open up from lock-down, I'll see what happens to the numbers and predictions for second wave.

I wouldn't give up, but I am still not prepared to book a flight, as the schedules will change drastically and who knows which ones will survive.

On the other hand, I am also prepared not to travel in 2020, but I still hope to.

Hang in there

Old May 20th, 2020, 08:40 AM

I'm over 70 and immuno-compromised, so I don't expect to travel anywhere this year. However, if I were not doubly high risk, and wanted to travel this year, I don't think I would pick a country that is welcoming visitors from the countries with the worst outbreaks. Although I suppose that if you live in one of them, it's no worse than staying home, although more difficult to take precautions while traveling.

And I'd wait a bit before deciding.

Last edited by thursdaysd; May 20th, 2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:43 AM

Better start brushing up on your Portuguese Maitaitom!
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:03 AM

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Tom. I am also hoping that we do not have to cancel or trip in September.
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Really, my only concern is getting sick from the flight. I don't want my trip report to be titled, "Mai Tai Tom Was Dying To Go To Portugal ... And He Did"
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:43 AM

I won’t be going on our trip to Rome and Tuscany at the end of September. Too many connections, too many airports and I think there will be a new virus surge in the fall. I want a vaccine before I travel internationally again. DH has a wait and see attitude, but I have cancelled our Rome apartment. At the moment, our flights have been rerouted enough that I am pretty sure getting there is going to be more complicated than is comfortable.
Old May 20th, 2020, 10:09 AM

I hope you get to travel to Portugal, maitatom! Just make sure they let you back into the US — or plan for a very long visit!

Old May 20th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

"Just make sure they let you back into the US"

...that's a problem on all our trips.
Old May 20th, 2020, 11:22 AM

Everything you wrote, Tom! As the birthdays mount up, I find it more difficult to blithely say "Oh, well, next year." OTOH, without a vaccine, I'd be leery.
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:04 PM

In a word, No.
Old May 20th, 2020, 02:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm supposed to be in Portugal right now (boo-hoo me). Personally, I might risk it, but I'd probably wait a bit before re-booking those flights.
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

"but I'd probably wait a bit before re-booking those flights"

Melnq8 - I am going to see how the next month or two shakes out. I am leaning toward going, but will take a wait and see approach. I've been in touch with a couple of my hotels and they still hope to welcome us.

"As the birthdays mount up, I find it more difficult to blithely say "Oh, well, next year." OTOH, without a vaccine, I'd be leery."

Td - I hear you. By September, I will be 68. I don't know how many more of these trips I have in me. I might not be around next year or the year after. They might not have a vaccine for years. Recently, I talked with one of my army of doctors, and I told him of our proposed trip to Portugal (he, too, travels a lot.) He was the one who told me I shouldn't even go to the grocery store a couple of months ago. He asked whether I still wanted to go on the trip, when I still don't go to the store. I answered (not flippantly), "Yes. Risk/Reward." He nodded and smiled. I think Tracy is on board. Kim and Mary ... not so much. We shall see. It will not be decision made lightly, that's for sure.
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
We have a September trip already planned (although I need a new flight since our flight was canceled) Interesting article today. Would you risk it? I might.

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arthu...a4nFH8nQmGwnj4
Just stay away from the Brazilian tourists.
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:26 PM

I bought my third different plane ticket yesterday to go to Greece. If the flight goes, I’m on it unless what I read persuades me otherwise. Wishing you luck and lots of pasteis de nata!
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless an airline starts offering non-stop flights between LAX and Lisbon, I wouldn't go this year. Multiple airports, multiple planes, multiple flight crews...
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:51 AM

I certainly would go. Everyone is stepping up their safety measures in order to boost the economy. The Portuguese tourism business will be welcoming you with open arms. Go Go Go
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:43 AM

Can you get travel insurance that will cover health care and cancellation due to Covid-19? If not I wouldn't even think about it. Sorry.
There is still no guarantee that the EU will open it's borders to other nationalities yet, and if they do which nationalities they will allow in. Greece and Portugal cannot open unilaterally to non EU.
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:20 AM

With the language in the media changing from 'when there is a vaccine' to 'if there is a vaccine' I (passionate traveller) have started to ask myself how much risk I'm prepared to take to travel overseas, especially without health cover. I hope that I don't have to make the decision but it troubles me that it's a possibility. Postponement a few years is one thing but...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -