Mass in Paris

Apr 15th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Mass in Paris

I've looked through the old messages, and searched the web, but I can't seem to find anything about mass times in Paris (except for the Notre Dame website). I was hoping to get to mass in Paris (I'm not there on a Sunday - only midweek), preferably one with some kind of singing. Maybe its a bit much to ask, but if anyone has any info/suggestions.

Thanks
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:50 AM
MB

Dear Violagirl :

Do you need mass in English or in French? Obviously if you would like a mass in French you have more choice. I checked out the web site for the American Church in Paris (av George V in the 8th arrondisement) and they only have Sunday or Saturday services...

MB
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

MB,

Even though my French is practically non-existent, I'd actually prefer a mass in French (particularly if there is music involved). For me, its a cultural as well as a religious experience, and a mass in English just wouldn't be the same.

-- Viola
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:21 AM

The Sunday Mass at St-Sulpice begins at 10:30 with the organ prelude at 10:15 and an organ recital immediately following Mass. Don't know where I found this info. When you're in Paris you can just stop by whichever church you're interested in and the Mass times will be posted.

adrienne
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Violagirl - just found a website that shows Masses for Paris churches. Here's the URL:

http://catholique-paris.cef.fr/messes/arrondissement/index.htm

I'm bookmarking this for myself. The choices are by arrondisement and alphabetical.

adrienne
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Adrienne!
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:33 AM

I found the same site as Adrienne. It lists masses by Sem (weekdays), Sam (Sat), Dim (Sun), but no clue about music.
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Sacre Coeur has an extensive list of Masses. We attended Mass late on a Saturday afternoon and there was a choir of nuns singing. It was beautiful.
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Many of the churches have Vespers (one of the canonical hours, also known as Evensong - Vepres in French) in the late afternoon which are usually sung a cappella. It's not a Mass but the Vespers I've attended are quite lovely. And a cappella is the original form of church song. Vespers are also much shorter than Masses, about 20 minutes.

Violagirl - too bad you're not in Paris on a Sunday. A few years ago I attended a service at the American Church which MB referenced above. If I remember correctly, that is a Protestant church and would not celebrate Mass. However, they do have an exceptional choir which is why I attended the service.

When are you going to Paris? I'll be there beginning April 24 (if I ever get my passport!)

adrienne