Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Masks required in Turkey - on the beach? Outdoors?

Old Apr 29th, 2021, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a trip planned and scheduled to arrive in Turkey on May 22. Just as the lockdown is over...and I'm pretty certain "cases/deaths" will fall very low just on weather alone / less air pollution. Like many govts, they will take credit, for none that is due.

My question is: Just learned there is an OUTDOORS mask mandate. Is this seriously being enforced? If yes, is this also enforced on the beach? In small towns? Or only in big cities?

Can anyone shed any light / personal experience about this?
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 11:35 PM

Turkey has recorded some 415,000 infections in the last 7 days alone - very much doubt that cases will ' fall very low' in just 3 weeks from now.

As to masks - as a visitor to the country I trust that you will adhere to the laws about mask wearing whether or not those laws are seriously being enforced.

Last edited by Greenhorn; Apr 29th, 2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by earthcomedy View Post
Have a trip planned and scheduled to arrive in Turkey on May 22. Just as the lockdown is over...and I'm pretty certain "cases/deaths" will fall very low just on weather alone / less air pollution. Like many govts, they will take credit, for none that is due.

My question is: Just learned there is an OUTDOORS mask mandate. Is this seriously being enforced? If yes, is this also enforced on the beach? In small towns? Or only in big cities?

Can anyone shed any light / personal experience about this?
Just wear the mask.

Also, the lockdown is the factor that will bring down infections, you know.
Old May 1st, 2021, 02:14 AM

Masks are not required on beaches. However, you may be subject to transportation bans on weekends, and the night curfews unless you are staying on or close to the beach.
We are now living at Iznik and my wife has been swimming in the lake and tanning on the not-so-public beach, despite lockdown and the cold water, starting three days ago.

A good way to avoid infection is to rent a house, cook your own or have food and most groceries delivered, disinfecting all deliveries always and not have any housekeeping during your stay./
Old May 1st, 2021, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by otherchelebi View Post
Masks are not required on beaches. However, you may be subject to transportation bans on weekends, and the night curfews unless you are staying on or close to the beach.
We are now living at Iznik and my wife has been swimming in the lake and tanning on the not-so-public beach, despite lockdown and the cold water, starting three days ago.

A good way to avoid infection is to rent a house, cook your own or have food and most groceries delivered, disinfecting all deliveries always and not have any housekeeping during your stay./
Thank you for answering my question. I have a rental car for most of the trip. (Except Istanbul / Sanliurfa). I did get intelligence from another Turkish national on another travel forum.

I won't be arriving until after the lockdown is over. Several days after. And as I stated...cases are crashing low fast. despite that -- I understand tourists are exempt from curfews.
It's just air pollution driving this recent wave and a post-vaccine spike (Seen all over the world).

Not worried about "infection." Already had it in March of last year, and who gets sick or sick again is nothing like how the media would portray. But that's another story.

For the other folks who replied. I would post some interesting links if I could, but restriction on posting links until one has 10 posts.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 07:54 AM

You get infected with a virus because of air polution?
And tourists are exempt from curfew?

Good information here. Not subject to Fodor's moderation I'm sure.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:00 AM

post vaccine spike.......

Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
You get infected with a virus because of air polution?
And tourists are exempt from curfew?

Good information here. Not subject to Fodor's moderation I'm sure.
air pollution lowers immune system

viruses are everywhere...speculation carried on air pollution particles.

and yes, tourists are exempt.