Reload this Page >

Perscription Snorkeling Masks - Rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Leslie

We're going to Maui in the middle of April and a friend just mentioned to me that she bought a perscription mask for snorkeling. What a great idea! Does anyone know of a place on Maui that rents prescription masks?

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Julie

We rented prescription snorkeling masks from Snorkel Bob's in Hawaii. They have locations on Maui as well as the other islands.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Christie

A word to the wise: If you can rent it, you can BUY it! If you know you'll be snorkeling again, it is definitely worth the investment!! Any dive shop that rents the prescritption masks will most likely sell them, too!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Jill

Leslie, if you're half as blind as I am and plan on snorkeling again, please consider purchasing a prescription mask or lenses for your mask. SeaVision did a wonderful job for me and I have the strongest prescription they can make. They weren't sure it would work, but were willing to try. It made the SCUBA trip unforgettable!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 12:16 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Does this mean that snorkeling with contacts is out of the question?

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 10:26 AM
Sandy

I always wear my contacts while snorkeling. I've never had any problems but I always bring an extra pair on vacation just in case.

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 08:13 PM
Leslie

Brian - I snorkeled one other time with my contacts and the leakage of salt water was really irritating. It seemed much worse than getting salt water in my eyes without the contacts. I'm sure that if I had a really good seal on my mask, it wouldn't matter - but that never seems to happen!

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 08:08 PM
Dana A. Hutchison

Leslie, Snorkel Bob's was a great place for lots of gear to rent, including prescription masks (they have several locations on the island). However, my wife is very far sighted and Snorkel Bob didn't have what she needed. He had a good variety of different strength prescription masks for near sighted folks... but nothing for far sighted people. If you are the latter, better find something on the mainland before you go! Also, don't miss Honolua Bay Marine preserve, north of Kapalua. It's a great snorkeling place, calm and protected even when a south swell is running. Don't spend the money to go to Molokini for snorkeling... it was a nice sailboat ride for four hours but the undersea flora and fauna are marginal and the snorkeling is only for the very fit and experienced. Have a great time!