Marling Menu-Masters; Happy Belly Gelato Books

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just came back from 3 weeks in Italy (and also the cities of Prague, Brugge and Paris) and had a ball!

As a public service and because they're no longer of use to us really, if anybody wants our copies of the Marling Menu-Master for Italy or France; and/or the Happy Belly Gelato (best gelaterias in Italy) books I'll send it or them to you for, say, $3 each and the cost of shipping (they're smallish of course). I just bought all three on Amazon in April for around $10 each. BTW, we discovered some fantastic finds with the gelato book from about a dozen Italian cities. Yumm! Just email me at [email protected].

[If somebody wants a great gelato suggestion otherwise, I'd definitely do "Perche No" in Florence (near the Ponte Vecchio) over and above Vivoli.]
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'll send my french one free to anyone who wants it.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

cigalechenta: I wonder if it would have been a little more courteous of you to have allowed my post to play out before torpedo-ing me with that unbeatable counteroffer (presuming it is genuine without any separate contact info).

Mike
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM

I think what she is saying and I agree, Marling food guides are all but worthless as an aid. But they are better than nothing, sort of.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
sorry M you took my offer as discourteous. That was not my intention, but willing to pass mine on free to someone who may not be able to buy a new book.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

"C" -- Although I'd have preferred your offer be placed separately, I appreciate what you're saying and know your heart was in the right place.

But Gretchen -- Your comment may not have been mean, but it was a long way from being helpful and certainly wasn't necessary.

Anyway, my offer still stands: $3 each and maybe 75 cents shipping for a great gelato book and Italian and/or French Marling Menu Master that I've read in this forum that many of you have used and respect. Please email me (per above) if interested; otherwise there's plenty of other topics to add positive (or even negative) comments to elsewhere.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:43 PM

I don't mean to be mean. I bought my Marling when I misplaced my French food glossary and it had been recommended on boards. We "made out" with it, sort of. It is, in my opinion, worthless, in France. When someone (you) offers something for sale, even at a great discount, if it is not as good as something you can get as a download (Patricia Wells' Food Glossary), I think it is fair to say so.
And to say Cigale "torpedoed" you over a possible $3 transaction, is a bit much.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:19 AM

It is nice that you want to release your books at a discounted price, but this post is not really any different than others recommending certain books. Those who have them and don't care for them feel an obligation to offer their viewpoint. I don't like the MenuMaster, either - it's too hard to find unknown items in it. You can resell books at Half.com - I've bought plenty of them there.