maribels guides.com

Jan 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
ita
Original Poster

maribels guides.com

I found a reference to these guides on this forum. I downloaded one about Barcelona. It looks very interesting. My question is: why are these guides available to download for free? How do they earn their revenue? Are the references to shops, hotels and restaurants unbiased or are they paid for by the establishments? I hope I am not sounding overly suspicious, I am just interested in how this works.
Jan 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM

For many years Maribel was a very helpful poster on Fodor's. I haven't seen her post recently, perhaps because of the combative nature of some posters. She helped many of us with our trips to Spain, based on her personal experience.

http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/maribel

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-the-best.cfm

I think she's gone into the travel business now but I would be very surprised if her guides didn't reflect only her personal experience.
Jan 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM

She used to email them to people but then created a website and gave us the link.
Jan 11th, 2011, 02:00 PM

The guides are very helpful when planning a trip. The transportation advice is really great. I am glad that she is now in the business of giving tours-I am sure they are good for those who enjoy that type of travel.

Pat
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM

As I'm sure you can tell from her website, Maribel is in the travel business. She has given many, many hours of free and detailed advice on this forum. I can say from personal experience that the advice on her guides are spot on and extremely reliable.
Jan 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM

So far I have used the Maribel's guides on three trips to Spain. I made notes on index cards, copied my fav pages, made a plastic binder and carried them on the plane to read and re-read. Her helpful suggestions were invaluble to us and continue to be. I just love MG!

From the care and detail she put into writing (and re writing and & updating) her guides, she seems to like helping people understand Spain and it's culture. And she seems to love Spain. truly. I happen to know from these forums that she also has an understanding and appreciation of the arts, and especially flamenco dance.

I have numerous travel books & guides at home on Spain. And yet I feel the best most informative and fun one is the Maribel Guide.

Of course she is in the travel business. It is clearly on the website along with links for other spanish goods. Why would it not be? However she has never once made any reference to her services here in her replies in fact she has recommended several competitors that she finds reputable. And there are some thinly veiled attepts at self promotion out there on the forums. Maribel just has too much class for that. No I have never met her. But I do miss her comments here.
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
ita
Original Poster

thank you for the answers to my question. I will certainly use the guides if we travel. Thank you to Maribel
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM

I´m proud to say that I´ve met her and her husband several times, great people and a great source for places in Spain.
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM

I've also used her guides for both Madrid and Barcelona. She's has also answered many questions I have posted in this forum re these cities. I value and appreciate her opinions and advice. I wish there was such a resource for other destinations!
Jan 12th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Maribel is the best!!!!!!!!! I used her guides and ate in her restaurant suggestions. She answered many questions when I planned my trip. Much of the success I owe to her. Her directions were so clear and just perfect.

Thanks Maribel!
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:58 AM

I am another fan of Maribel. She has pointed me to corners of Spain, and experiences in those corners, that I would never have discovered on my own, even after having visited the country more times than I can count.

As noted above, her business is travel planning and she can plan every aspect of one's trip to Spain (and Portugal and the Pays Basque) from booking tickets (even RENFE tickets!) and hotel rooms, to finding the best guides, to offering insider tips on where to eat and shop, to mapping out driving tours, etc etc.

Her company offers a range of itineraries and she can also help customize an itinerary, or plan a stay in one city. I recommended Maribel to friends of mine who traveled to Madrid last year and she was highly complimentary of the help that Maribel planned for them.

Maribel can be contacted here:

http://www.iberiantraveler.com/iberiantraveler.html