Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mani: Germolimenas (at Kyrimai) or Kardamyli (at Notos)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:15 AM
owl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these two locations/hotels would you recommend for the end of September?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Are you just staying a night? Neither of these locations serves well as a "base" for the region. By base I mean a place to stay from which you can do several handy day-trips. Gythio, I my opinion makes the best base - especially if you are travelling by public bus. From Gythio you can easily visit: Sparta/Mystras, Geromilenas/Vathia + rest of coast, Aeropolis, Kardamyli etc.

Just a thought....

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM

We LOOOVED Kyrimai. It's really a top-notch hotel, well worth the extra bucks. Alex, the owner is most helpful and it was the highlight of our honeymoon!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM

A NOTE : We stayed at Kyrimai at the beginning of October last year and were disappointed that the hotel restaurant was closed. However, the tavernas of the village offer delicious food and we enjoyed ourselves very much. The bar was open at the hotel (they have amazing vintage scotch!).
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM

I've stayed at both, this past May 2006.

The Kyramai is more upscale and luxurious, sits right on the shoreline. If the restaurant is open, highly recommend their 'nouvelle greek' cuisine (expect to pay about a 100Euro for two, with wine).

Gerolimenas village is small, quiet, simple, but with a pretty view at the neck of a small rugged bay. The southern half of Mani (eg, ruins of Vathia) are easily explored from the Kyrimai.

The drive to Kardamyli, along western coast of mani, is VERY pretty. The Notos hotel is at end of a dead-end road that branches west, past the northern end of town ... a bit hard to find. The Notos sits up in some low hills, not near the shore.

The Notos is modern and comfortable, more of a higher end USA-style motel. Rooms have kitchenettes, was a nice change of pace to make breakfast in our room.

Caution: We had a mosquito problem at Notos. I didn't have any kind of repellent. Finally we closed all windows and just hunted down/swatted all the mosquitos stil remaining.
Bring Repellent !

We also drove thru Gythio, and didnt think it was anywhere near as nice as either Kardamyli or Gerolimenas. And while Gythio may be more "central", it just meant it was equally _far_ from all the places we wanted to visit!

I was happy with our decison to stay at both Kardamyli and Gerolimenas, and Not Gythio.

PS- In Kardamyli, we had a most wonderful, lovely dinner at Lela's tavern on the shore. Lela's serves just traditional greek taverna food, but the location and setting were *Beatiful*.