Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Malta??? What and where is it and why go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Lou

My wife wants us to go with some college friend and her husband to Malta this winter.<BR>I never even heard of Malta. Is it a region in Italy or what? What is there to do there but sit on a beach? Is it an intersting place or like Florida?

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
Christian Wing

First let me say I have not been to Malta, however i do know a bit about it. It is a small Island off the southern coast of Italy in the Med sea. If you are a history freak you would love it. The British held it during WWII.If you are a civilization freak you will also love it. There history goes back 1000's of years. They were at one time, a regional power so there are some cool ruins (so i hear).

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Paige

It probably won't be warm enough to swim during the winter. There are lots of really cool ancient temple ruins, caves, quiant fishing villages, beautiful churches, nice little towns and beautiful coastal scenery. Gozo, Malta's sister island, is much smaller but has a lot of the same stuff without as many people. We spent a week on Malta and Gozo and found plenty to do and really liked it. Everyone speaks English, too.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:09 AM
xxx

Malta is an independent European country which is in the queue to join EU. OK, it is a small island (or three islands, Malta, Gozo and Comino). Malta´s culture is one of the oldest in Europe, and those monoliths date back not 1000, but rather like 5000 years. It is not really a beach destination (although there are some, but water is too cold in winter). People go there to walk the old streets, and enjoy wonderful churches, museums and so on. You can also take boat trips and go hiking (best hikes in Gozo).<BR><BR>Check <BR>http://www.visitmalta.com/

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Xenos

If you read carefully between the lines of the previous posts, you might gather that (in the UK at any rate) Malta is usually seen as a destination for somewhat &quot;senior&quot; travellers. I wouldn't recommend it for anybody under 60 years old, unless they really had a fascination for history.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Karo

I'm not 60 (not until Christmas, any way) but my husband (48) and I went to Malta and loved it. Of course, we love ancient history. The people are great and there's lots to do.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:55 AM
h

<BR>Good, maybe these negative responses will keep idiots like you people off that beautiful peaceful island.<BR><BR>Its the perfect vacation spot<BR><BR>Enjoy not being there!!