Malcesine to Venice (Lake Garda)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visited Lake Garda last spring and just fell in love. Our parents are coming to visit in May (we live in Germany) and we have decided to take them to Lake Garda (instead of Austria.)

We stayed on the west side last year, in a gorgeous apartment in Toscolano-Maderno. We LOVED the apartment, right on the water, beautiful views. But we were a bit isolated. This time, we would like to stay within walking distance of some of the prettier towns we fell in love with (like Malcesine!!) With 3 small children, we spent alot of time in the car last year driving to the different villages around the lake, or to the different ports to catch a ferry. Malcesine seems to be the perfect spot for us.

With that said, I would LOVE to do a day trip to Venice. Yep - long, exhausting- but I don't know if my parents would ever get the chance to go there. Should we drive or take the train from Malcesine. It looks like it is at least a 3 hour drive WITH NO TRAFFIC. Has anyone made this trip?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
GAC

If you go by public transportation, here's how to do it:

1. APT Verona bus line 62-64 from Malcesine to Verona bus depot: nearly 2 hours and 4.80 Euros each way.

2. Walk 150 yards to Verona Porta Nuova Train Station.

3. ES-City train (reserved seats) to Venezia S. Lucia: slightly over 1 hour and 18.50 Euros each way.

Total travel time: roughly 3 hours each way (plus connection time), and 46.60 Euros round trip per person.

NOTE: You can save 12.35 Euros each way by taking the "regionale" train instead of the much faster ES-City train, but that will make the one-way trip slightly over FOUR hours (not recommended).

www.apt.vr.it

http://tech.atv.verona.it/atv_www/or.../pdf/62-64.pdf

www.ferroviedellostato.it
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
GAC

Forgot to mention that children under 4 travel FREE on Trenitalia, and children between 4 years, one day and 12 years get a 50% discount.

On the APT Verona bus, children under 4 also travel FREE.

It was not clear from your posting above whether you planned on taking the children with you to Venice, or only your parents.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM

Hi----we spent 3 days/nights in Malcesine after a longer stay in Venice a few years ago. And we really loved Malcesine---great location, nice old-town pedestrian zone, the Monte Baldo cablecar, etc.

We drove there from Venice and I'm sure it took longer than 3 hours. We used teh Autostrada for much of the way (to the southern end of the lake), and that was itself nerve-wracking in a little Fiat Punto. The bus to Vernos and train from there sounds like a better way to make it a daytrip.

Or would ther be a way to include an overnight stop at Venice on your way to or from Malcesine?
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, we will be bringing the children, and we have our own vehicle. We are pretty used to driving in Italy, so that doesn't worry us. I just know that traffic is the deal breaker, and you never know how that will be! We are going the first week in May, so we are hoping it won't be as crowded with school still in session. Much to think about.....
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Would it be worth it instead to drive to Verona ourselves instead of taking the bus? I would think that would save time on driving (no bus stops/slower) and then take the train from Verona so we wouldn't have to deal with driving into Venice?

I would consider spending a night in Venice, but it is just soooo expensive. We are paying about 75 Euro a night in Malcesine for all of us, where in Venice, we would have to get hotel rooms for probably triple the cost. I know it would be a long day, but I think it would be worth the memory. I was able to visit Venice alone (well, with a girlfriend for my 30 bday) last fall, and would love to go back with my husband and girls.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
GAC

By driving to Verona from Malcesine, you should be able to save anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes time in each direction, depending on the route chosen and the amount of traffic. It may possibily be worth considering.

Taking the fast ES-City train from Verona to Venice (70 minutes), rather than driving, makes eminent sense.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Is the driving route really awful heading south right on the lake (from Malcesine, through Garda, to Verona)? It seems all the driving directions are telling us to head north to catch the autobahn south.

Last year, we stayed on the other side of the lake near Toscolano-Maderno, and thoroughly enjoyed the drive along the lake (when it wasn't crazy traffic!) It was simply stunning. But, we never made it to the other side.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
GAC

The drive along the eastern side of Lake Garda from mid-June through mid-September will be rather slow, except in the very early morning hours (before 8 a.m.) Traffic jams are especially common on the weekends during the summer. July and August can be particularly bad. However, if you travel in MAY (schools are still in session), traffic will be MUCH more manageable. If you plan to drive along the road which skirts the Lake (very scenic), try to leave very early in the morning, and the drive should be very easy. Alternatively, take the early morning southbound bus to Verona (the car driver will appreciate being able to enjoy the scenery).
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
GAC

I note that there are early morning buses departing Malcesine for Verona at 5:25 and 6:40 a.m.

There is an ES-City train to Venice departing Verona at 7:59 a.m. which you could take by departing Malcesine on the 5:25 a.m. bus. The train arrives in Venice at 9:10 a.m.

HOWEVER, the LAST bus back to Malcesine from Verona departs at 18:45, which means departing Venice S. Lucia by train (ES-City at 16:50) in time to make this connection.

Based on these schedules, you could have up to 7.5 hours in Venice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM

Just to confirm---there are seven of you going on the daytrip to Venice? Do you all fit in one car if you choose to drive?

The schedules that GAC has generously looked up and proposed look doable, but it makes for a VERY long day. And while it would give you "up to" 7.5 hours in Venice, some of that will be used getting to and from the train station, amid the crowds, and you will have no "base" to which to retreat for a bit of relaxation and peace.

Given that you are spending only 75 euro a night for the rest of your trip, I suggest you seriously consider spending the night in Venice. Yes, it will cost a lot more for that one night than what you are spending at Malcesine. But consider that you are spending so little for Malcesine, you can spend more for Venice---in other words, consider the average cost over your entire vacation. If it means that much to you to take your family to see Venice, you might want to make it the best experience possible---which means spending a night there. Venice is magical at night, when the daytrippers have departed.

If one of your children could share a room with your parents you would need a triple room and a quad. You can find both (as well as family apartments) at the well-regarded Hotel American-Dinesen, on a small side canal in Dorsoduro:

http://www.hotelamerican.it/en/rates.php
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. I think we will stick to a daytrip. Yes, Venice is magical at night, but probably not with my 2 year old son. Now that I know it is more doable, I will post our experience when we get back.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM

OK, day trip. Then comes what to do. San Marco is a must for all. Go at once. Google for a way to avoid the lines. Then the Coge's Palace. Then turn your parents loose to do the secret itinerary which I think is not for your children. The problem with that is meeting afterward. There are few places to sit except in cafes. From S, Marco you could walk through town to the Rialto Bridge and over it to the market and the fish market. The only place I know for kids to play (spiral climbers and benches) is Papadopoli Garden across the Canal via the new bridge about 450m from the RR station.
===gm===
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM

Oops! Doge's palace, not Coge's. Sorry. I don't see my errors until they are in the nice fat font that my software calls for. (Sometimes not even then). ===gm===
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Last year we stayed in Sirmione and did a day trip to Venice. We caught the Verona train from Peschiera del Garda at around 10:20 and then changed to the Eurostar into Venice.

I seem to remember it was less than two hours in total.The return train was 18:50 again changing in Verona and we were back in Peschiera for around 21:00ish and dinner.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
GAC

bbrown1226:

Don't fail to ask for the "Familia" discount when riding Trenitalia between Verona and Venice with a family group:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

Adult family members can get a 20% discount, kids under 12 years and one day a 50% discount, and toddlers under 4 years and one day ride FREE.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
GAC

TAKE NOTE that if you drive yourself to Verona Porta Nuova Station, you have several early morning "regionale" trains to choose from which arrive in Venice before 9:00 a.m.

While there is no "familia" fare for the "regionale" train, it's so cheap (6.15 Euros per passenger over 12 years and one day), that you still save lots of money over the much more expensive ES-City train (to which the "familia" fare may apply). And children still get the 50% or 100% discount, as on the more expensive trains.

On the return trip, there are "regionale" trains at 17:05 and 18:09.

By taking the "regionale" train in both directions, you pay a mere 12.30 Euros round-trip (or less, for the children), and still can manage to get 8 or 9 hours of time in Venice proper.
That's if you drive to the Verona Porta Nuova Station from Malcesine, which is what you're planning to do.

And, if you're willing to pay three times as much on the return trip by taking the faster ES-City train, you can squeeze in even more time into your Venice day trip.

This is because the train service between Verona and Venice is both frequent and (with the "regionale" train) cheap.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
GAC

From June 15 through September 30, there is a DIRECT bus on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from Riva and Malcesine all the way to Venice Piazzale Rome, as follows:

Depart Malcesine 7:20
Arrive Venice 10:30

Depart Venice 17:15
Arrive Malcesine 20:10

Round trip bus fare is 30 Euros.

This direct bus is much better than taking the bus/train combination with connection in Peschiera or Verona.

Seats on the direct bus MUST be reserved no later than 17:00 of the day before travel.

For information:

Info e prenotazioni:
Autostazione di Garda
tel. 045 7255833
fax 045 7255787
dal lunedì al venerdì
ore 8.00 - 17.00