Majorica Pearls

Sep 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Majorica Pearls

Where should I shop for Majorica Pearls while in Barcelona or Madrid?
I think they will make a nice gift for some of my friends and family.
Any other shopping tips you would like to share?
Thank you fellow shoppers.
Sep 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM

I would really like to be your family or friend if that is the kind of gift you give them - versus the usual $10 or $15 plastic souvenir.
Sep 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM

I think that you probably refer to Mallorca (Majorca) pearls which are made in and around Manacor on Mallorca. I am not a pearly person and so am no expert (but have been to Mallorca 20 plus times). Barcelona is very close to the island of Mallorca and I have seen them for sale in shops in that city.

The low cost flighst are truely low between Barcelona and Mallorca - it is feasible to actually fly to Mallorca (30 minutes to see the island and the pearl factories). They are man made and farily easy to produce and in that context I am not sure why people find them attractive.

Natural pearls (to me) are a whole different ball game and justify their value. Individual and pretty hard to find.
Sep 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM

As far as I recall, Majorica pearls can be purchased in any jeweller, even at El Corte Ingles, no need to go to Mallorca.
Sep 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Majorica is the brand name and are pretty much a fixed price everywhere in Spain-I try to buy them at the department store,El Corte Inglés during the July sales (50% off!).The pearls from Mallorca are all over and much cheaper. Majorica was featured on QVC and sold at Nordroms in the States -much more expensive than in Spain!
Sep 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Second the vote for El Corte Ingles. They have a good selection and good prices. Mine have lasted for 36 years and counting.
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your help. I will look at El Corte Ingles.
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Or there is a nice jewellers just across the entrance from the cathedral (not Sagra Familia) with pearls at reasonable prices.