Mainz, Germany Questions?

Sep 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Mainz, Germany Questions?

Only 35 days until we leave on our much anticipated trip to Germany, and I'm down to planning the final details.

We'll be landing at Frankfurt Airport at 5:55 am and training to Cochem. Since Mainz is along the way, we would like to stop and visit the city for a few hours, before heading on to Cochem.

Our goal is to visit the Gutenberg Museum, the Kaiserdom, Kirch St. Stephan, and to find some breakfast.

We will be getting off at the Mainz Romanische Theatre stop (former Sud), which we understand is closer to the sights than the Hbf.

Is it feasible to walk from the train station to the Domplatz, then to St Stefansplatz, and finally back to the train station? Or is there a bus/tram we can take? On the map it looks like a lot of territory to cover by foot.

Also, any suggestions on where we can find breakfast?

Counting the days.... Thanks, Robyn >-
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Two months ago, Mainz Romanische Theatre train station was under serious reconstruction, and was a bit hard to navigate with luggage. The construction might be completed by now. I don't know if there are luggage lockers at that station. I DO know that there are lockers at Mainz HBF where you can leave your bags, and that it quite an easy walk from there to the Domplatz through quite a pleasant town. There are plenty of opportunities for breakfast along the way. The Kaiserdom is one of the three Imperial Romanesque Doms in that part of the Rhine Valley, and I would rank it in third place behind Speyer and Worms, but it is certainly worth a visit.
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM

The sights can easily be walked from Hauptbahnhof as well, it's about 15-20 minutes to Domplatz. Since you'll probably have luggage you'll appreciate the lockers Hauptbahnhof provides - im not sure if there are any at Mainz Römisches Theater at all but would not expect it.

A part of old Mainz is preserved in the narrow streets South/South East of the Dom, and there are a number of cafes and pubs. I'm sure you'll find a nice place for breakfast there.
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:45 AM

According to www.bahnhof.de, Mainz Sud has lockers, but it doesn't give any more information (i.e., number, sizes).

Paul
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I think we'll go back to our original plan, which was to get in and out of Mainz via the Mainz Hbf, where we know we can stash our luggage.

Although I don't mind the 15-20 minute walk from the station, the distance is cutting into what little time we have to explore the city. I know there is a bus system in Mainz, but I couldn't figure it out on their website. Is there a bus that runs from the Hbf to the Domplatz?

Thanks again for your help. Robyn >-
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Sorry I can't help about the bus. It really was quite a short (and interesting) walk, so I didn't bother about alternative means of getting to the Dom and back.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

We looked at a different map, which showed some buildings, parks and pedestrian areas, and now the walk doesn't seem as daunting. I suppose if we are pressed for time, and can't figure out the bus system, we can always take a cab.

Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Robyn >-