Mainland and Athens - 2 weeks

Apr 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Mainland and Athens - 2 weeks

I'm started to plan a return trip to Greece for the fall. This will be our 3rd visit, but this time without the kids. We're planning on spending 4 or 5 nights in Athens (near the Old Olympic Stadium, we've stayed twice in these great penthouses - love them and the neighborhood) and I am pretty clear on what we'll do in Athens - but, I am thinking I'd like to explore the Peloponnese and the go north. I have read a bit about the villages near Ioannina - and I'd like feedback or suggestions on this part of Greece. We'll drive ourselves, and we'll have 10 days or so. Any suggestions?
Apr 12th, 2008, 04:28 AM

There are so many possibilities for exploring the northern mainland and Peloponnese that I'd avoid the temptation of trying to do too much on one trip. We've visited parts of this area on various of our holidays, most from holiday bases and some as a fly/drive tour.

On our 10 day fly/drive trip to the Peloponnese in May 06, we drove from Athens to the Nafplion area, down to Monemvassia (via Mystras) and then back to the small resort of Paralio Astros. My report is at the link below. Also look out for other reports on this area, such as the recent one by Ms_go.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34803709

Pictures from that trip:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/296138/index.html

There are many other places to explore on the Peloponnese, including the Mani, which we have explored from the Stoupa area and Messinia, which also has plenty of interest, such as the castles at Methoni, Koroni and Pylos and beaches such as Voidikilia:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/166201/index.htm

The Zagoria area near Ioannina is beautiful. We visted that area from the pretty west coast resort of Parga. There are attractive stone built villages, arched bridges and lovely mountain scenery. We drove to the a view point over the stunning Vikos Gorge which I'd love to return to walk in some day. The neaby ruins of Dodoni in their mountain setting are also worth a visit.

I have plans in their infancy for a future visit that include heading to Meteora, up to the Zagoria area, back to the coast at Parga for a few days and maybe back to Athens via Delphi. Good luck with your trip planning.
Apr 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Maria - I see from your trip report that you have been to Greece a number of times, so I guess it really is addictive.
I think you are correct, I will have to make a decision to go north or just stick with the Peloponnese. We aren't really beach people, so now I am torn between the mountains of Zagoria and those you wrote about around Stemnitsa. I will just have to trust that this won't be our last visit I'm going to do some more research and I am sure I will be back with more questions. We would like to hike, and it sounds like either area would give us that opportunity.
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Yes, Greece can be addictive. As I live in the UK, I have the luxury of being able to return relatively easily. Many of our trips have been on cheap packages, (apartment plus charter flight) we have then hired a car and toured the area. I wasn't a beach person either but have slowly developed a taste for relaxing, reading and swimming from the beach in between touring and exploring.

You've prompted me to post some photographs from our trip to north-west Greece, which I've been meaning to do for some time.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/345143/index.html

Wherever you decide to go, have a great time.
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM

Hi Maria, just wanted to say- love the photos. I can't wait-I can't wait-I can't wait! I've missed Greece so much. 40 days to go.....
Apr 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Thanks spinch - 7 weeks tomorrow 'til Crete and counting...
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I'll wave when we pass-
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:52 AM

hskol - in case you missed it ms_go & mr_go just did any excellent and very detailed trip report about Athens and the Peloponnese "Nine days in Athens and the Peloponnese...." (sorry, can't copy the exact thread).

Where did you stay in Athens (re the penthouses)? We're going in Oct or Nov to visit our daughter who is spending the fall semester studying in Athens near the old Olympic Stadium. I've been checking options (including this forum and vrbo) and haven't found many accommodations in that area.

Thanks.
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM

ttt
May 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay - too bad life gets in the way of travel planning - we stayed in the Athens penthouses - they have a website - www.athenspenthouses.com, but I also think they are on VRBO.com. We were 5 minutes on foot from the Old Olympic Stadium. Your daughter is lucky, it is a great area to be in.
May 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM

hskol - thanks for the links.