Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Main diff. betw. Madrid, Barcelona and Sevillla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally bought my tickets to Spain but now I don't know how long to spend in BCN, Madrid and Sevilla! My fiancee and I love a lot of history, serene parks,beautiful architecture, GOOD food, dance, and oh... did I mention good food. Can you tell me the big diff.betw. these cities and which ones you think we should spend more time in?
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Add what time of year, where you are flying in/out of, and how long you have total--and you'll get more compete responses.

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Spain late May through early June for a total of 16 days. We are def. going to spend two days in Granada.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
yk

You can read my trip report and get some ideas. I was in Spain for 12 days in Feb 08
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35111933
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I read it and I LOVED it! Thanks yk! It actually inspired me to ask this question because I had thought that we would LOVE Sevilla and spend more time there but now I am now sure....
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM

To know if you are going to love a place or not..you have to see it yourself, these kind of things are totally subjective

The main difference is ...everything. They have absolutely nothing to do between them.
So, without the two Granada days, it leaves you with 14 days. I would say 6 in BCN , 5 Madrid and 3 Sevilla. If you plan to do day trips from Madrid, then 5 in BCN and 6 in Madrid.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I just want to suggest that you do not miss the Mosque in Cordoba - you can easily do this as a day trip from Seville or as a stop on the train trip between Seville and Madrid. I think that Mosque is one of the most interesting sights in Europe (at least that I have seen so far!)
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Since we are back packing is it feasible to get on and off the train (from Sevilla to Madrid) to see sights with our huge back packs?
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Madrid is basically a large modern city filled with high rise office buildings with the Royal Palace and several excellent museums. It is very well known for it's night life - which lasts until 5 in the am. We found the food to be OK.

Barcelona has a very interesting old quarter with great architeture, is also known for being popular with throngs of young people and has some decent resorts along the coast.

The center of Seville has a much different flavor - being more similar to Granada and Cordoba due to it's long history of conquest and reconquest - from the Romans to the Visigoths, Moors and final reconquest by Christina Spain.

To me, Andalusia is much more interesting than Madrid (good for perhaps 2/3 days at most).

We also enjoyed the extensive Roman ruins at Merida, the old town of Ubeda and the unique atmosphere of San Sebastian.

I think Spain is one country in which the capital must take a back seat to other areas.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
yk

For my trip, I debated between a medium-sized backpack, vs a 21" rollaboard. I went with the rollaboard and was glad with the decision. I was able to roll it for the most part. Carrying a heavy backpack can get old quickly.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM

There is luggage storage in Cordoba bus station, if that is what you were asking about.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I am not so concerned about the back pack as I am about scheduling too much time in a city. I guess that is what day trips are for..
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Spain has everything you like.

To me, Sevilla is very old world, with the warren of narrow streets in Barrio de Santa Cruz, the cathedral, alcazar, a few Roman ruins etc. It does also have a sizable student population and interesting neighborhoods like the Triana District along the river with fun restaurants and tapas bars, plus flamenco and the bull fight ring.

Barcelona seems somehow "younger" with lots of activities, like a big dance place on the water, Parc Guell, beaches nearby, etc., very busy, even in the daytime. It also has Gaudi's fantastic architecture which just blew me away. Since you love architecture, this will be amazing for you. I know there are also a few good places for day trips, but I haven't taken any so no opinion on that.

Madrid seems more elegant and business oriented in the day, but has a rousing night life. Of course, it has great museums, the Prado and others, and the Palace. The other thing about more time in Madrid is the ease of some wonderful day trips: Toledo and Segovia. These are both really worth seeing, for architecture especially, the cathedral in Toledo, which is one of the truly great cathedrals in the world.

Granada is one of my favorite places in Spain - can't say exactly why, perhaps the landscape, the Alhambra, the beautiful squares, the food. Visit the Alhambra both during the day and at night. Enjoy really good food. Interesting caves nearby.

For an architecture and history lover, the Mosque in Cordoba is most interesting. If you have time for a stop in one of the White Hill Towns of Andalucia, I think you would like it.

Time depends on what you want to see and do in each place and whether you are going to do day trips from a base city. I've tried to describe some of the differences from my point of view. Spain is so wonderful; whatever you do will be a great trip.