Madrid-Unexpected lodging needed (June)

May 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Madrid-Unexpected lodging needed (June)

Well Fodorites, just when I thought the travel planning was done, we have an unexpected lodging question. We have 2 nights in June that we will be in Madrid. This was a quick stop to visit with my mom's cousin who has unexpectedly passed away. We don't have any other family there so we are without our lodging and we have to go because we have the tickets. As far as sightseeing, I believe we will visit Retiro Park and maybe a day trip to Cuenca for the hanging houses. I'm not sure actually what to do because her cousin was all we really taking care of our visit.

What are your recommendations:

1. Stay at a hotel near the airport?
2. Skip Cuenca? Do something else?
3. Any comments regarding Retiro park?
4. Do we stay in a different area of Madrid?

We really are at kind of a loss here. Our one and only plan was Retiro Park with her cousin. We didn't look at "touring" except for what he was going to show us.

Thank you again! (Budget: I'd like to keep this hotel under $100 USD per night if possible since it was not in our original travel budget). It doesn't have to be a hotel, it can be a B&B if it's well located. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

3gentravel on the countdown!
May 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM

You can now do Cuenca on a day-trip, but with only 2 nights, I'd opt for enjoying Madrid.

I would stay in the center of the city, but a budget of $100/night would put you somewhere in the price of a 2-star hotel or hostel, something I'm not familiar with.

A taxi will get you to the airport in no time.

You might want to refer to Maribel's Hotel Guide to Madrid for her recommendations.
May 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Stay downtown like Robert suggest. Skip Cuenca If you have never been to Madrid you will barely skim the surface. Take a boat ride in the park. Have a couple memorable meals. There is an easy airporter bus from the airport if you are staying in the center itself..

Less expensive lodging can be had at the 4* AC Avenida de Madrid. I am paying 58E June 10th. This hotel is at the edge of the Salamanca district so it is not right in the center at all but very well cnnected by bus and metro very nearby. But .. I like the price and the level of the hotel. For only two days, if price is not an issue, perhaps you will find something in closer.

Feel free to post back and get suggestions on places you find but want a personal opinion.

In the case that you/anyone should book this area. do NOT take the airporter bus to town but rather the EMT 200 bus to Intercambiador Av. America. This let's you off two blocks from the hotel. There is also anABBA hotel here.

Do not confuse the Melia Avenida de América area as the same as these two hotels. The Melia is closer towards the Trade Fair than these are and is not recommendable for a tourist.
May 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Robert-I did come across a post about M's guide last night. I will surely look at that.

Lin-Does this sound horrible, but we have little interest in staying close to Madrid, except our airport is there? I'm know Madrid has many wonderful things to offer-however, right now it's a depressing area for my mom... I guess I'm trying to divert our time from there, a little, for her.
I will surely look at AC-sounds like right price for us!

Thank you both! If I have more questions-I'll be back here for sure!
May 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM

maybe go to Alcalá de Henares, nearby quaint cultural town that does have transport to Madrid by train. take a taxi there. very charming. no hustle bustle. Cervantes' birth home, porticoed streets and tons of storks and their nests on steepled roofs.

Or, if you stay at the AC Av. America the central bus depot for northern towns is where the EMT bus 200 drops you off so you can see many destinations if you take a stroll there and see if anyplace catches your eye for an easy day trip.

http://www.ac-hotels.com/190-AC_AVENIDA_DE_AMÉRICA.html

I also applied a 10% off coupon I found for booking this at www.hotels.com .
google for coupons. you may be lucky if this none has expired. It was mayflowers10 or mayflower10

http://www.turismoalcala.com/index.p...le=galeria.php

So sorry this has had such an unfortunate turn for you.
Jun 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova, thank you so much for the all the info. We are still stewing about Madrid and exactly what to do. I guess you could say we are avoiding it! (Not a good idea when we fly out on Fri)!

I am going to go to your links and make decisions!
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM

I hope this decision is not too difficult for you. Maybe since you had wanted to go to Cuenca just go there, or Toledo, ( also very well connected) your first night.

Take the airporter bus to Atocha and hop on next train.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Agumar Hotel- I have found this hotel, near Retiro Park. Anyone stay there? Or have opinions of the area? Do you know how to get from Airport to this area?

Thank you
Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM

I have not stayed there but it is in a good location and looks very nice. Take the Atocha bus from your airport terminal. ( 2E) It should be in very easy walking distance, perhaps a bit uphill, if you do not have a lot of luggage.

A nice place to eat not too far from there is Cervecería Cervantes. Ask the hotel to mark it on the map. it is literally behind the westin palace hotel, not far from the Castellana.

In maribelsguides.com she has a list of good places up on the northern side of retiro park . Take a look at that, too. She also has great tips for many cities across Spain.

A coffee or drink at the tables next to the boat pond at the park would be memorable.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lincasanova! You have really helped make a hard planning part of the trip much easier! It is greatly appreciated. We look forward to getting on our way tomorrow!