Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easy 1 euro bus in Madrid to Airport Terminals

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a 5.5/ 6 hour layover in Madrid I again took the 1 euro bus from my terminal (Bus 200) and got off at the last stop which is on Av. America, at the "intercambiador." This took no more than 10-15 minutes in mild traffic.

I then walked along down to calle Serrano and had a coffee,(another 10 min) and eventully went to see some business colleagues before going back to the airport.

This lovely museum is on this route just a few minutes from station. closed tuesdays.
http://www.flg.es/museo/museo.htm

This very easy bus route might help some not wishing to travel by metro in and out of Madrid. There are luggage racks on this bus. Many city buses stop at this station above ground.. so I imagine one could easily get there from most points.

This is also the bus station for going up to Pamplona and other northern cities.

The airport buses are downstairs at the station. There is one bus for terminals 1,2, and 3. A separate, also as frequent bus goes to terminal 4. Just look for buses 200 "aeropuerto terminales", NOT to be confused with barajas pueblo.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks...do you know what time the buses start/stop running? I'm flying in and out of terminal 4 but when I do a search on airport buses, it only shows info on terminals 1-3. I'm staying near Sol metro stop - does any airport bus go by this area?

Also, I have a early morning flight out of Madrid (to Lisbon). This time I will be staying near the Gran Via metro stop. The flight is for 7:20am and I have to go to the luggage storage first so I need to be at the airport for 5:30am. What is the best method of transportation around 5:00am? I prefer not to take the taxi because it's expensive ...wondering if the airport bus would be running by then.

Thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

the airport bus only goes to the edge of madrid at the intercambiador like i said.

i do not know the schedule. i have just taken it several times as it goes not far from a place i need to visit while in madrid.

sorry!

i do not know the metro lines you need, either, but i am sure it is well explained elsewhere.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM

lincasanova, I have a stopover in Madrid Dec. 30, coming from Prague and returning to Miami Dec. 31. I'm arriving at T4, where can I take the 200 bus into Madrid and where will it drop me off?

I've been to Madrid a few times and I'm very familiar with the city, but have always taken a cab to and from the airport.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

the bus from T4 is called the 204. The bus to/from T1,2 and 3 is called 200. They are the only buses that go to the terminals. They are red and belong ot the municipal system, EMT Madrid.

They cost 1 euro. (driver will change SMALL bills only).

If you plan to take more rides on bus or metro, stop at the tabacalera shop in airport first to buy a 10-ride ticket to be used during your stay, about 40% cheaper.

The bus will stop (if you raise your hand for him) at the busstop, which will most likely be the same place as the hotel busstops outside the terminal across from taxi stands..

In Madrid the buses go underground at the avenida americas intercambiador... you get off, and when you come back to baord.. you must look for boarding area.. which will be across from where you got off at the END of the lane.

I did not have time to open all the windows on my search.. but the schedules are posted.. and routes of ALL madrid buses.. google the bus number and Madrid and you will get lots of info.

there are taxis nearby, but if you are between flights with light hand luggage, i suggest you ( with a map in hand) go DOWN maria de molina until claudio coello street where you turn left.

This is the beginning of a very nice area of the well known salamanca district.

there is a private collection museum nearby.. and many cafés. see www.flg.es

Then you can continue down to serrano/american embassy area, diego de leon (nice place is Séptimo café restaurant).

or taxi to prado, museum triangle.

this is a very easy way in. might save someone quite a bit depending on where they are going.

p.s. this is a 12-15 minute ride from T1,2,3. a bit more from T4.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

I just want to say that these buses are no longer RED, but the one I took a few weeks ago was now BLUE. The numbers have not changed. And they are still efficient and cost a euro.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

The bus stops are located at the terminals as soon as you come out of arrivals. They are marked. The frequency is every 10 minutes or so