Madrid to Seville

Oct 18th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Madrid to Seville

Hello -
My teenaged son and I will be visiting Spain next summer and Im working on our itinerary. We arrive in Madrid early morning in July and Im considering catching a train or cheap flight directly to Seville and then returning to Madrid 4 days later to spend a week or so in the capital. Were good travelers but I dont want to push too hard, especially on Day 1. Is it too much to land and then immediately depart for Seville?

Also, our flights from Spain two weeks later would require us to be at the airport no later than 9:00 a.m. Well be spending the weekend prior to our flight in Valencia. Is it crazy to spend the night previous to our flights there and catch an early morning train to the airport or would we be smarter to stay in Madrid the night before we depart?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Oct 18th, 2019, 07:00 AM

Getting from Madrid airport to the train station Atocha. will take 1/2 hour by taxi..
there is a number of fast trains to Seville ...I would continue the trip right away. Check Renfe.
You can also check flights to Seville ..I am not familiar.
I prefer not to take trains the day of the flight..one never knows..the trains don’t go to the airport .
The night in Madrid would be more relaxing....imo
Oct 18th, 2019, 09:12 AM
twk

You should spend the night before departure in Madrid.

As to arrival day, I find that it's pretty much a write off for me. If you can spend that day travelling, without over taxing yourself, I would say that's not a bad use of your time on that day. Personally, if I had my 2018 trip to do over again, I would have gone from the Madrid airport to Toledo on arrival day. Sevilla is a bit longer trip, but only in the time you spend on the train.
Oct 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM

If you've traveled a lot, don't you know yourself whether it is too much or not to do some continuation the first day upon arrival? I am not understanding why you'd ask that unless you have never once done anything but a nonstop flight to where you are going. I almost always have connecting flights as there are only a couple cities in Europe with nonstop flights from my home airport, and I don't want to just go to them repeatedly. I've done flights a lot, that is normal, but I've also done train connections in Paris right from the airport as that is so easy. In Madrid, there isn't a train staiton at the airport, so I'd fly instead of getting into the city to Atocha, although you can. I don't get your comment about a cheap flight, you should plan that itinerary on the same airline you book with to be a connecting flight in Madrid.

I would never stay in Valencia the night before your flight from Madrid.

You seem to be under some impression there is a train station at MAD airport and there isn't, at least not long distance trains. So the only possible train you could take to get there by 9 am would be the 6:30 AVE from Valencia to Madrid Atocha, which arrives there around 8:22 am. then you have to transfer to a local train or some other option to get to MAD by 9 am. Because the next AVE doesn't even arrive in Madrid Atocha until almost 9 am.

I'd go to Seville straightaway, I agree, you aren't going to make good use of that day anyway, I never do. I would go back to MAD the day before departure, also.
Oct 18th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Why spend the weekend before departing in Valencia? An event of some kind? Otherwise, why backtrack from Seville to Madrid first. Go to Seville and anyplace else in that area. Fly to Valencia. Put all the time in Madrid together at the end.
Oct 18th, 2019, 01:54 PM

>>> I dont want to push too hard, especially on Day 1.
You might not have realized this, but you have answered your questions yourself.
With what you are waffling, you can push yourself for no good reason. You probably though not travling to Seville on arrival day keeps you from pushing hard. But if you have done that, you can be checking in/out 4 times.
In/out Madrid.
In/out Seville
In/out Valencia
In/out Madrid the night before departure.
If you traveled straight to Seville, then you cut down this check in/out cycles to three. Does this not reduce instances of pushing yourself hard?

You have also mentioned something that also pointed to traveling straight to Seville upon landing.
>>> We arrive in Madrid early morning
Supposed you stay in Madrid on arrival day. What happens? Can you check in? If not what are you going to do when you have no place to lie down? If you need to sit down, which one would you take - sit at cafe, hotel lobby, etc, vs. sitting on AVE train to Seville making progress towards your destination?

>>> require us to be at the airport no later than 9:00 a.m. Well be spending the weekend prior to our flight in Valencia. Is it crazy to spend the night previous to our flights there and catch an early morning train to the airport.
You can easily test reasonableness your idea yourself. Look at Valencia - Madrid train schedule at Renfe, www.bahn.com, etc. Currenly there is only ONE train that might make your 9am requirement. I don't know when they publish the summer schedule next spring, there are ealier trains. But at this point, there is barely one. If that turns out to be the only early morning train and if there is a problem, you are toast. Also realize that the airlines can tinker with flight schdules. On one return trip from Spain, they changed my flight to leave almost one hour earlier than origianlly booked. Also realize that train from Valenci ends in Atocha. You will have to travel to the airport from there.
Oct 18th, 2019, 04:17 PM
kja

I'm also of the opinion that pushing on to Sevilla upon your arrival makes a lot of sense -- the train is comfortable and it's not far to the train station. And definitely NO to staying in Valencia the night before your flight.

Sassafrass's idea to go from Sevilla to Valencia to Madrid would seem worth considering if that's possible for you.
Oct 18th, 2019, 04:56 PM

You should look into flying from your home airport to Seville on the same airline ticket. That would be the easiest and least stressful option. We live near Boston, and I know, for example, that TAP flies from Boston to Seville with a stopover in Lisbon. Did you try Iberia Airlines? Even if it’s a bit more expensive, that is what I would do. It saves you the stress of getting to Atocha from Madrid Airport with your luggage.

If flying to Seville doesn’t work out for some reason, than taking the train from Atocha to Seville on the day you arrive in Madrid is the second best option. As others have pointed out, your hotel most likely won’t be ready when you arrive so early, so what would you do? You could leave your luggage at the hotel, but then you have to go sightseeing while suffering from jet lag.

And I agree that Sassafras’s itinerary is a good idea.
Oct 19th, 2019, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Gee, Christina, are you always so hostile and aggressive? While I didn’t mention it in my initial post, yes, I have traveled quite a bit. Next summer’s trip to Europe will be, I don’t know, the 23 or 24th time I’ve been abroad. Despite all that experience I came to this forum seeking helpful advice from those more experienced than myself. I wasn’t seeking a scolding, nor a diatribe. Maybe you should check yourself before responding in the future. You really don’t seem very pleasant.
Oct 19th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

My son and I want to visit three distinct areas, one being the coast. We’re committed to Madrid in the middle because we have friends we’re meeting there. It’s a bit of backtracking for sure, but if we’re training it, it seems like the trains from Seville go to Valencia via Madrid. Is that wrong?
Oct 19th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. You make a lot of sense. It shouldn’t be too terrible with Madrid to Seville on Day 1, return to Madrid for Days 5 -10 and then Valencia for Days 11 - 14, with a return for an overnight in Madrid prior to sending my son home and my continuing solo to Greece. Is it summer yet?
Oct 19th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

My son is flying home solo as I am continuing to Greece for a couple of weeks. He’ll be 15 and, while he has been in Europe a number of times, I wanted to ensure that he be on a nonstop flight home. He probably could manage switching planes or a layover, but I’m trying to keep it simple.
Oct 19th, 2019, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Close friends will be at a family wedding north of Madrid on 7/4. We’re meeting in Madrid so our kids can hang out. They’ve been besties since birth and I’m excited to give them an opportunity to experience a fabulous city together!
Oct 19th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nylilly View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. You make a lot of sense. It shouldnt be too terrible with Madrid to Seville on Day 1, return to Madrid for Days 5 -10 and then Valencia for Days 11 - 14, with a return for an overnight in Madrid prior to sending my son home and my continuing solo to Greece. Is it summer yet?
all looks good..you probably know how hot, hot Seville, Madrid and V are in the summer.
Oct 19th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes! I can’t say we’re prepared for it, but we’ll adapt with early morning explorations (for me), time indoors at museums during daytime and siestas followed by late dinners and walking after dark.
Oct 19th, 2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by nylilly View Post
Yes! I cant say were prepared for it, but well adapt with early morning explorations (for me), time indoors at museums during daytime and siestas followed by late dinners and walking after dark.
Spain is the right place for late dinners. - never before
9:30 or later,
we love it . Many hotels in Madrid and Seville have a swimming pool,
beaches in Valencia are great!