Madrid to Sevilla - A few transportation questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Spain in September and plan on landing in Madrid in the early morning and heading directly to Sevilla. Do you think the train is my best option? If so, if I am reading the Renfe site correctly, it looks like I can take a train from the airport to the Atocha station and then take a train to Sevilla.

1 Is the train the best option or should I fly to Sevilla?
2 If I take the train should I tempt fate and buy my tickets in advance?
3 If I buy my tickets in advance how many hours should I figure between landing in Madrid and train departure time?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM

If you haven't booked your flights yet and can book the Madrid-Sevilla flight on the same ticket as the flight into Madrid, don't have a long layover and it doesn't add much to the cost then I'd fly. I've done both depending on the situation. In one case I only had to wait a couple of hours, cost about $35 USD more and I decided to fly. At other times it would mean waiting around for hours for the next flight or a much pricier ticket. If you've already purchased your airfare and you decide to purchase a Madrid to Sevilla flight separately then you risk missing the flight and the airline isn't under any obligation to get you to Sevilla.

If you take the train personally I'd purchase the tickets in advance. You can take advantage of the web fares and also be guaranteed you will get the train you want (and not have to wait around for the next available). I've done this several times and never missed my train (crossing fingers) - but was close one time when my flight from Paris was delayed. Now I give myself extra time.

How many hours you need from landing to the train depends on a few things - what day of the week would be my first question. If you're arriving on the weekend you don't have to worry about the morning commute traffic. Also, is your flight arriving directly from the US or do you have a stop within Europe? If you've already stopped in Europe and gone through immigration then it will be faster in Madrid. But you also have the risk of a flight delay with the connecting flight.....

If you do decide to purchase the tickets once you arrive then I'd suggest purchasing at the airport (there are renfe offices in T1 and T4) and avoid the lines at Atocha.

Also - I don't think there is not a train from the airport to Atocha station, at least not in T1 or T2. What terminal are you arriving into? Depending on how much luggage you have you can get to Atocha by the airport express bus, subway or taxi. I'm a heavy packer and usually arrive into T2 so the airport express bus works for me.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM

There are lots of ways to take the Metro from the airport to Atocha -- but as far as I can see, they all require two transfers (3 trains). It's probably not a major problem if you don't have a lot of luggage.

SS
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Don't forget about the new RENFE cercanias (commuter) C1 line that goes from T4 to Atocha station, no stops, in 25-30 minutes. Fare is ridiculously low, 2+ euros, and it runs frequently.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM

RENFE to Atocha is great if you are at T4 ( I took it in Oct)
from other terminals - take the bus.( or taxi, about 30 euros)
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

CathyM - I would be arriving on a Friday morning directly from the US. I think I would be landing in T4, a British Airways flight run by Iberia. As danon noted I could then take RENFE to Atocha.