Madrid or Barcelona

Jun 13th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Angela Li

Madrid or Barcelona

My husband and I w/ our two kids, one 16 and one 11, are going to La Manga, Spain for one week in late August. We would like to visit other cities in Spain for a few days. We are not sure whether we should do Madrid or Barcelona.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Wendy

I think this depends on what you would like to do with your time.

I liked the beach in Barcelona but loved the city of Madrid- it's people and history and buildings much more.

What are your families interests?

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Maira

Agree with Wendy. On this one you sould ask your family first what type of vacation they will like to followed their week by the beach in La Manga. August in the Cartagena region (or anyplace in coastal Spain) is busy and hot, so you may want to head North. Both Madrid and Barcelona are nice cities for cultural sightseeing, and day trips to historical sights. Is that what your family enjoys? or will they need to stay near a beach for another week? would they enjoy mountain/ nature tourism? With a family I would stay in one home base from where to reach the beach (or has a pool), hike trails, nearby restaurants, historical sights. From which city are you departing from?

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Paula

I would take Barcelona over Madrid any day. Not even close. Although I was glad I saw the Prado and Sophia in Madrid, the Gaudi architecture all over Barcelona, plus the Picasso Museum, the Miro, the port, the overall feel of the city were so much more impressive. Of course everyone has different experiences and needs, but I'm going back to Barcelona for sure, and may not go back to Madrid.

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Peggy

My husband and I prefered Madrid over Barcelona, even though both are lovely cities. For us there was more to see and do in Madrid.

Jun 14th, 2002, 10:17 AM
John G

Barcelona and Madrid are completely different cities. Madrid is a very formal city, along the lines of Washington DC or Paris, achitecturally speaking. Madrid also reminds me of DC in the fact that, since it is the capital, it is bureaucratic in nature, with everyone on the street in business attire, carrying briefcases. (Although, of course, there are neighborhoods like Salmanca, that are more relaxed.)

Barcelona, on the other hand, is a Mediterranean city, very relaxed in nature. It is a gothic city, and moody. Whereas Madrid is straightlaced, Barcelona is undone and free.

Both cities have much to offer. The Prado in Madrid is one of the great museums of the world, but Barcelona has Gaudi's architecture.

It is a tough decision.

What type of people are you, Angela??
Are you formal, conservative? Or are you wild and carefree? This could help you decide.

Jun 14th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Andre

Angela,

It's funny how people can have very different opinions...

Here's my analogy to US cities:

Madrid: New York
Barcelona: San Francisco

Madrid isn't like DC: it's the economic and cultural center of the country - a lot of large companies (even old Catalan ones) have been moving jobs there recently because it's where most bright young professionals want to be (or is it the other way around..)

However, Barcelona's setting is definitely dramatic and it will be a little more bearable heat-wise than Madrid - hey, just like NY vs. San Fran...

Hope this helps,
Andre