Reload this Page >

Madrid or Barcelona

Search

Madrid or Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:53 AM
nancy

Madrid or Barcelona

I have two nights to spend as a layover in either city. Anyone have a recommendation?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Henry

Nancy: Both cities are wonderful however we did prefer Barcelona.Two days would not do either city justice but you could certainly see many of the principal sites.Feel free to contact me for additional info.<BR>Enjoy.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:50 AM
Gregory

Hi Nancy,<BR><BR>I agree with Henry. Both are wonderful cities but would probably pick Barcelona.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
nancy

Thanks for the advice, with so little time, what should I not miss? I'm not afraid to hit the ground running !

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:56 AM
clara

Definitely Barcelona. There is no doubt. I've been to both cities several times and it remains my favorite of the two.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:59 AM
clara

Do not miss long walks down Las Ramblas, the large municipal market (one of the most renowned in Europe- Saveur magazine did a great write up on it four or five months ago), wandering through the Bari Gotic, and the Picasso Museum. And the Gaudi everywhere.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:21 AM
Gregory

Do not miss thec Sargada Familia ( Gaudi's unfinished cathedral)

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:26 AM
james

I think the answer has two views. I absolutely love Barcelona for it's buzzy day and night life, Gaudi everything (especially his very odd Cathederal), but Madrid has history oozing everywhere and a particularly good art scene. Generally, I would say if you're young, go for B, if you are a little older(!) you might enjoy Madrid more. Put it this way, to enjoy Barcelona to the full, you need to be able to stay awake until at least 2/3am. Both places are fabulous, so whatever you choose, have a great time!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:04 PM
Elwood

James, is Madrid not even more famous than Barcelona for it's nightlife? I keep reading that is the best in Europe. I just bought a ticket to Madrid for early May, mainly for a weeks vacation in Andalucia, and hope that I enjoy just wandering the city and taking in the finer things in life. Perhaps Barcelona will be next.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:37 PM
yikes

MADRID no discussion 1 I always feel uncomfortable in Barcelona-lots of ? people,typical of a seaport-I get the same feeling in Marseille.<BR>Madrid has so much more substance-historically and culturally.Its nightlife can keep up if not surpass that of Barcelona

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:11 PM
Angel

I second "yikes" comments. Madrid has more flavor of the real Spain! Barcelona is more modern & the atmosphere similar to neighboring France.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:48 PM
Julie

Plenty of nightlife in Madrid. Both fun with lots to see but Barcelona has both history and for lack of a better work futurey. It's what's happening now and will happen even more in the years ahead. It's vibrant, it's exciting. It's fun. You won't go wrong with either one but you'll hear a lot more of Barcelona in the years ahead. You can say you've been there.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:59 PM
wayne

Madrid was a disappointment for me, maybe because I expected it to be much more. Barcelona, with its gorgeous buildings and buzz was much better.If I had to choose one city in Spain it would be Barcelona.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:52 AM
condorita

Definitively Madrid.<BR>We were there last May. You will love it. Barcelona is great, but don´t have the charm of Madrid.<BR>The night life is just wonderful!!!<BR>Have a nice trip.<BR>So jealous of you...

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Jose

Nancy: is reallt a pitty you don't have time to see them both. They are VERY different. I am Spanish and have lived in both of them. If you want Marcha (nightlife), undoubtly you should go to Madrid. If you want arts, choose modern or classic arts... if you like sea, choose Barcelona... Both of them are very spanish cities, because as Spanish is "Castilian" spirit as "Catalan" spirit. Hope you enjoy your trip.