Search

Madrid Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2023, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid Itinerary

Hi all,

I am finetuning our September/October trip to Spain and would love your take on the last week of our itinerary. After spending two weeks in Seville to settle into the Andalusian culture - live like a local - take day trips, we are going to Granada for two nights. My question is about the third place, Madrid.

Here is what I am thinking:

Thurs: Arrive by train at 7pm, dinner
Fri: Historial Walking Tour, Prado Museum, dinner
Sat: Day trip to Toledo, dinner in Madrid
Sun: Palace, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, dinner
Mon: Noon flight to LAX

My question is do I need another day in Madrid? I can take one day off Seville. Seville and Granada will be SLOW travel. Madrid will be a bit of frenzied sight-seeing. I love London! I love Paris! I am a bit lukewarm to Madrid for some reason.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old May 23rd, 2023, 05:54 PM

Two weeks in Seville and just a few crumbs for Madrid. You are going to miss the atmosphere of the city, its architecture, the Retiro Park, the markets and many other things. A new museum opens its doors on June 28: the Royal Collections Gallery. https://apnews.com/article/spain-mus...49818d9e8ff002
In addition, a bit of everything https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...5kVoBRDf8qdG3I
Old May 23rd, 2023, 07:14 PM

I would add another day to Madrid. This will give you time to visit beautiful Retiro Park and have drinks by the lake in the park, visit the Reina Sofia Museum, and explore more neighborhoods and/or markets.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a rushed visit but being late September at least you will not be rushing from shadow to shadow. My other thought is remember the Spanish day is pretty long so plan for a rest along the way.

I'd not change anything, having a slow holiday is just as important as ticking off things on check lists. In 10 years time you will not still be talking about a sight in a museum but about the conversation you had with a nun in a street in Sevilla.
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the opinions.

Revulgo, where do you stay in Madrid? October is higher priced than I had hoped -- hotels, AirBnbs, all of it ...
Old May 24th, 2023, 12:11 PM

I'm a local
Old May 24th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Oooo! I'd love your take on staying in the Recolatas neighborhood and Barrio de las Letras - Heurtas for a first-timer.
Old May 24th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also spend at least another day in Madrid. It's a great city to walk around with plenty of outdoor spots to eat. Prado is my favorite art museum. Say hi to El Bosco! Who knows, maybe it would be in Madrid where you chat with that local nun.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:48 PM

We enjoyed Madrid much more than we thought we would. Two of our highlights were a walking food tour: https://www.walksofspain.com and the Sorollo Museum (a small museum in the former home of the painter.)
Have a great time!
Old May 24th, 2023, 05:01 PM

KT - That looks awesome. If we go back at Christmastime, I'm looking this up.
Old May 24th, 2023, 06:45 PM

I hope you get to go, maitaitom. Hello to Tracy!
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Okay! Holding five nights at the VIP Jardin de Recoletos. And this Board's suggestions of Catalonia Las Cortez and Room Mate Alba or Alicia in Las Letras near Plaza Santa Ana would work!

Tom, I could not find your apartment from your trip a few years ago, but will stay on the hunt for one.

Taking all mid-range accommodation suggestions for Madrid!

Last edited by lrice; May 25th, 2023 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added discovery.
Old May 25th, 2023, 05:27 AM

Lrice, are you looking for apartments? If you are considering hotels, we stayed at the Mercure Madrid Centro at Calle Lope de Vega 49. It's about a 10-minute walk from the Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia museums. Within walking distance of Retiro Park. And a block away from Calle de Jesus with all its tapas restaurants. I didn't write down the room rate but we don't stay at expensive places. So I think it's in the mid-range for price. Our room was adequate in size, a spacious bathroom, and hardwood floors. Very clean. They serve a delicious breakfast which was an extra 12 euros per person in 2017.
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:40 AM

Tom, I could not find your apartment from your trip a few years ago, but will stay on the hunt for one.

I sent Bologna Air BnB link to you on Bologna thread. For Madrid, Spain Select is now called Homeclub and I don't see our apartment from 2015, but it looks like they have plenty of others. Not sure if they changed ownership or just the name. They were fantastic to work with when we visited.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:50 AM

I'm looking forward to your TR, Irice and am glad you are adding more time for Madrid.

Here's for ideas:
Madrid and London
Old May 25th, 2023, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by maitaitom

I sent Bologna Air BnB link to you on Bologna thread. For Madrid, Spain Select is now called Homeclub and I don't see our apartment from 2015, but it looks like they have plenty of others. Not sure if they changed ownership or just the name. They were fantastic to work with when we visited.
we used Spain Select 3 times…I was checking it again last year (now, Homeclub ) Majority of their apt. are now for months or longer rental.
Daily rentals were either in a noisy location ( I know Madrid ) or 500 euros or something else unappealing to us.
Old May 27th, 2023, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Karen! Yes, I love that little neighborhood. It looks charming with its pedestrian streets, architecture and many cafes. And Plaza Santa Ana seems lined with cafes. Do I have that right? I need to find my “cafe on Place Richeleme” from Aix or corner pub in London that we can fall into daily!

Yes, if possible, we prefer an apartment.

Tom, yes I have your Bologna apartment — thanks! Our Northern Italy trip got traded in for Southern Spain but we will make our way there. I looked at Home Select; they have some beautiful apartments. Great prices for a month-long stay BTW.

TDudette, yes, me too. Five nights makes more sense since I really want to get to Toledo.

Danon, the VP Jardin recommendation by you and Maribel is turning out to be the best value. I think I caught a promotion when I booked. Love that they offer a kitchenette and sitting area.

Still scouting apartments in Las Letras…

Old May 27th, 2023, 04:55 PM

I spent 5 night and 4 whole days in Madrid, one day was a day trip to Toledo. I saw all the places you listed, + the Joaquin Sorolla museum, the museum of the Americas, the Anthropology museum, and various statues and buildings without a guided tour. A guided tour would have been nice. I could have occupied myself with another day - there is a navy museum, Retiro park, the Reina Sofia modern art museum, and maybe other places. With a 5th whole day in Madrid (Toledo being the 6th day whichever actual day you see it), you could take another day trip to Segovia. I know this is weird, but I didn't eat restaurant food even once in Spain- I am not sure if that caused me to fit in more sights and museums than you think you can fit in, in the same amount of time.
Old May 30th, 2023, 02:47 AM

I see too many dinners/restaurants and not enough bars. Madrid has some of the best bars in the world and tapas crawls are a must. There are whole areas of the city devoted to this activity:
La Latina
Ponzano
Ibiza (it is an island but also a neighborhood in Madrid)
Huertas
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 05:02 PM

It is a shame Toledo is a day trip when it is way more beautiful at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -