Madrid in spring

Search

Madrid in spring

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid in spring

Haven't even taken my upcoming two-week trip to Spain yet (leaving in about three weeks), but after reading about Spain, I am pretty sure I am not going to be satisfied with just two weeks.

My husband and I are already considering next spring - I have two weeks off in April (the weeks before and after Easter)and could probably stretch it out for another four or five days on either end.

Is Easter a horrible time to visit? I know in past years we have intentionally avoided travel in certain countries (Mexico, for example) because it is so difficult to find reasonable lodging, not to mention being out and about when everyone else in the country is, too.

What about the weather in Madrid in mid-April? Will it be unsettled/ cold and rainy? What about Barcelona or Toledo?

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM

I had been over Easter in the Madrid/Toledo region. It was fine, not crowded, however not as spectacular as the semana santa in Sevilla or Carmona (we especially liked the processions in Carmona, which were more authentic than those in Sevilla which have been turned into a major tourist attraction).

Madrid is a metropolis with a vibrant life of its own and is not very much affected by tourism. Over Easter, especially the better hotels have good rates because it is low season for business travelers.

Expect nice, sunny spring weather, but be prepared that is can be rather cool (10 to 20 °C). One morning, we noticed fresh snow on the mountains!

You can easily spend three or four days in Madrid. I also recommend renting a car and driving on scenic routes through the surrounding landscape. The highlights are:

- El Escorial
- Avila (medieval city)
- Toledo (with Moorish and Jewish influences)
- Segovia

After leaving Madrid, we chose Oropesa as a base. There is one of the best Paradores, and it is a charming place, with breathtaking views. At this time of year, you will hear barking frogs in the plains and you will see stork fledglings in the nests.

On Easter Sunday, we had lunch at the Parador in Toledo. They served a tapas menu and one of the dishes was, suitable for the day, "huevos del toro".
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:20 AM

For me, going to many Spanish destinations in Easter would be horrible since I can't stand crowds or medieval religious ritual, especially when being videotaped by tourists, and in Sevilla, there quickly follows a blow-out fair in the city, which also attracts throngs.

Obviously for some it's the whole point of going at that time, but if I wanted to go in Spring -- and I might for the flowers in the Alhambra alone -- I'd plan to avoid the Easter parade and just swallow the higher costs for air fares and some accommodations in that period.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Yes, you are right for Sevilla where semana santa has been turned into a kind of carnival.

However, Madrid is a metropolis. It will hardly be affected by religious ceremonies. To the opposite, Madrid will be rather quiet over Easer, because offices are closed and people enjoy the holidays. Same is true for Toledo, Avila etc.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:24 AM

We were in Madrid and Toledo the first 10 days of April this year--the weather was nearly perfect. There was rain in Toledo, for the most part at night. The flowers, mostly tulips, were in bloom throughout the parks and along the streets in Madrid--beautiful. And this gorgeous plant was in bloom in Toledo... its scent was divine!

http://i35.tinypic.com/2mweddt.jpg

Based on our experience, I think April is a perfect time of year to go--cool mornings and evenings, sunny and warm afternoons.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM

We were in Madrid and Toledo in APril a few years back and it was delightful. Sunny and in the 70F's.