Madrid and Sevilla over Easter

Old Dec 20th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Madrid and Sevilla over Easter

We are planning to visit Madrid and Sevilla. We will be in Madrid for four days: April 20-24th and Seville for three days after. We hope that one of hte days in Madrid we would be able to travel to Toledo for the day

My question: Will "things" be open on Easter? Museums, cafes, etc.? Wondering what we could do on that day if most things are closed.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Can always go to a cathedral for Easter High Mass! Quite an event IME with choir and or orchestra, etc. Palm Friday too. The whole of Easter week in Seville is one non-stop festival with famous parades, including on Easter Sunday:

Not sure about Madrid but assume there's one too.

Last edited by PalenQ; Dec 20th, 2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

We will be getting into Madrid on Sat, the day before Easter Sunday. If there's a church near us with the High Mass for Easter, which I've never seen, it sounds like it could be interesting. If we can get in! Unfortunately we won't be in Seville until the following Wed. I'll check to see if there's a parade in Madrid. Thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 12:17 PM
twk

Originally Posted by Dianedancer View Post
We will be getting into Madrid on Sat, the day before Easter Sunday. If there's a church near us with the High Mass for Easter, which I've never seen, it sounds like it could be interesting. If we can get in! Unfortunately we won't be in Seville until the following Wed. I'll check to see if there's a parade in Madrid. Thanks.
I know there is a procession in Madrid (not sure of the day--maybe Good Friday) as I saw some pictures from a procession through one of the galleries leading into the Plaza Mayor on the web site for an apartment that I was interested in renting. But, check the timing.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 08:33 AM

Madrid at Easter

Yes, Madrid celebrates Easter https://www.esmadrid.com/en/whats-on/easter-madrid

Sábado Santo (Holy Saturday)
The procession of "Nuestra Señora de la Soledad" leaves the Corpus Christi Monastery at around 4:30pm.

Domingo Santo (Easter Sunday)
The main event on Easter Sunday takes place at mid-day in the Plaza Mayor. This is the "Tamborada del Domingo de Resurección", whereby whichever Brotherhood has been chosen for the year, assembles dozens of drums of all shapes and sizes and beats out a constant rhythm which almost shakes the timbers of the nearby houses. This represents the earth tremors that were supposed to have occurred when Christ died on the cross.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:30 PM

I actually think it might be better to be in Madrid over Easter holiday because then you would have more options and things to do in addition to the big parade and Easter festivities. We were once stuck in Malaga over Easter and our movement was severely restricted and even pedestrian traffic was strictly guided through particular streets. We had to take a very long detour to get to our hotel in the center of town and could not sleep before midnight for three days in a row.

At the same time the level of passion for Easter you see in Andalusia is quite unmatched which makes for an interesting experience.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm good for a bit of the parades and celebrations but don't want that to be the only thing I experience on that Sunday. So it sounds like Madrid will be fine.